Year old hen won't put her feet flat on the ground! (Pictures in comment)

beckab

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
Hello all. I could use some thoughts.
My favorite lady, a year old production black hen, just recently started having issues with her feet.
I have checked her legs and hips, nothing seems to be broken or out of alignment and she has good strength in both legs. But when she walks she walks on just her toes. She keeps the top of her foot peaked when she steps instead of putting them flat on the ground. Because this is an unstable position, she uses her wings more for balance and then sits down again a few steps later.
There are no lessons, sores, spurs, or marks on the bottom or top of her feet.
She is still eating and drinking, moving around the indoor and outdoor enclosures (but will not get up on her perch with the others), laying solid healthy eggs, & looks in all other respects to be healthy.
Any thoughts? Any one else had a chicken do this? Treatment options?

Last edited:

It could be a vitamin deficiency, or possibly a symptom of Mareks disease (hopefully not.) I would start some good poultry vitamins in her water--they won't harm the others. Avian Super Pack is a good online brand, and you should be able to find Rooster Booster or another brand at the local feed store. Until you get some, if you have a vitamin B complex tablet you could dissolve it in her water, or give her 3 drops of PolyVisol baby vitamins without iron. Here are some links to read:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

It could be a vitamin deficiency, or possibly a symptom of Mareks disease (hopefully not.)  I would start some good poultry vitamins in her water--they won't harm the others.  Avian Super Pack is a good online brand, and you should be able to find Rooster Booster or another brand at the local feed store.  Until you get some, if you have a vitamin B complex tablet you could dissolve it in her water, or give her 3 drops of PolyVisol baby vitamins without iron.  Here are some links to read:  
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the vitamins for the water. We are already using a vitamin/mineral crumble supplement in with the layer feed and extra harvest treat mix when I go collect the eggs. ;). They also forage and scratch all over the yard during the day.
I looked into Mareks as well when the problem first arose, but the place we got the chicks from said they vaccinate against it (not that it's always 100% effective) and none of the other symptoms apply to her. Thank goodness. Hopefully extra vitamins will do the trick. :D

We have a big girl with same systems, same timing. Took her in to a vet after a picking issue (the way she sits her but is in the air, and she has a odd vent, so the other chickens pecked it) the vet said she was born with feet that don't allow her to open them all the way. Because of it her breast muscles are under developed and once she got to a certain weight she couldn't easily roost or walk around well. Vet said she isn't in any pain. She just is awkward and can't walk well.
We have a roosting bar set just off the ground that she sometimes uses but for the most part she stays on the ground. Doesn't go far when she is out but is a sweet girl.

We have a jersey giant who has the same issues down to the time line. Everyone said all of the same above on different forums.
We ended up taking her to a vet, things hadn't gotten worse but nothing had changed.
Vet said she was healthy and not in pain, just cannot put her feet flat. Because she was born/hatched with a malformation of her feet. Genetic. She is happy and still lays without issue. Just doesn't go far when she is out. Doesn't really roost though we have a bar lower for her.

We have a jersey giant who has the same issues down to the time line. Everyone said all of the same above on different forums.
We ended up taking her to a vet, things hadn't gotten worse but nothing had changed.
Vet said she was healthy and not in pain, just cannot put her feet flat. Because she was born/hatched with a malformation of her feet. Genetic. She is happy and still lays without issue. Just doesn't go far when she is out. Doesn't really roost though we have a bar lower for her.
That's very interesting information! Thank you. I'm glad she is doing fine :)

Eurochook this thread is 9 yers old so very likely that links won’t work. You can find more current info by starting a new thread or by looking up more recent threads. There is a lot of old info on here that has been corrected or updated. Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom