Year old hens not laying eggs

HoP

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Portland
Hello,
I can't seem to find an answer.
Last April 11th 2011, I bought a 3 day old Silkie and a 5 day old EE. I hand raised both and later, I bought three six month old hens of various breeds. These last three have all started laying eggs. They started last fall. However, the two that I raised from chicks have shown no signs of laying eggs.
They never go into the nesting boxes (I have a golden Silkie that has been laying since November and she is broody). They are not showing signs of wanting to lay eggs.
I just can not figure out why they are not laying. I am beginning to think I raised some spoiled girls. LOL
Anyone have and idea why this is?

Thanks

Last edited:
No they are not squatting. My others are. No molt either. I guess there is enough light. I don't have one in the coop, but that hasn't stopped the other three. I understood that they start laying at 6 to 8 months, so not sure what is going on. They are healthy, no problems there. They get the same food that the other ones do. Plus, I let them out in the yard to romp around in the grass.
Here is the pic of both of them

Could they be laying when out on their romps? I see you have a second silkie, could they both be laying? Silkies aren't know as layers.

Back
Top Bottom