Year old hens not laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HoP, Apr 14, 2012.

1. HoP

HoP Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland
    Hello,
    I can't seem to find an answer.
    Last April 11th 2011, I bought a 3 day old Silkie and a 5 day old EE. I hand raised both and later, I bought three six month old hens of various breeds. These last three have all started laying eggs. They started last fall. However, the two that I raised from chicks have shown no signs of laying eggs.
    They never go into the nesting boxes (I have a golden Silkie that has been laying since November and she is broody). They are not showing signs of wanting to lay eggs.
    I just can not figure out why they are not laying. I am beginning to think I raised some spoiled girls. LOL
    Anyone have and idea why this is?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they 'squat' yet? Its a kind of submissive stance with their wings up and chest down showing that they are 'ready'. Maybe they are going to molt? Not enough light?

3. HoP

HoP Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland
    No they are not squatting. My others are. No molt either. I guess there is enough light. I don't have one in the coop, but that hasn't stopped the other three. I understood that they start laying at 6 to 8 months, so not sure what is going on. They are healthy, no problems there. They get the same food that the other ones do. Plus, I let them out in the yard to romp around in the grass.
    Here is the pic of both of them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Could they be laying when out on their romps? I see you have a second silkie, could they both be laying? Silkies aren't know as layers.

5. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Sound like late developers to me. Good looking girls.

6. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm, the saddle feathers look right but are the hackle feathers too pointed? Might be a he?

Don't know how to sex a silkie, maybe post it in the gender forum.

/Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by