1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Year old silkies hens or roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smoon, Mar 11, 2017.

1. smoon

smoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    I have two cute silkies who celebrated their first birthday today and STILL, to this day, neither one has ever crowed/danced like a rooster NOR have they ever squatted or laid an egg like hens. What is the deal? I have a third silkie who I bought with them from the same hatch and she laid at 6 months old and has ever since. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on whether they are male or female.
    Pics of them below. You can see their combs a little better in the pic where my husband is holding them :) one has a bigger red comb and the other has a small black comb but no behavioral difference between the two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    They both look kinda like roosters to me, do you have any other fullbody images of them? :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, need standing side profile view. Also like to see head forward with crest pulled back to display full comb.

4. smoon

smoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    I will get those pictures and post them on here in a few hours- thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by