Yelling chicken

Itsamidge

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Please help! We have four Gold Sex Link Chickens. All of them are very calm and quiet except for one. She screams a lot. It seemed to be only when they were hungry and needed food but now it seems like it is all the time. I tried to give her treats to calm down and yesterday it seemed to work. She calmed down and was quiet for the rest of the day. Today, she is screaming all over again. I gave her treats again and as soon as she was done with them she started screaming again. Does anyone know what might be her problem? We just cleaned out the whole coop and run, and installed a new feeder. We have seen her eat from the feeder so we don't think that's it. Please help!!

Thanks,
Meredith

I have read that in a flock of all females occasionally one will decide to take on some of the attributes of a male. This includes crowing like a rooster. Could the noises you are hearing be her attempt at crowing?

Please help! We have four Gold Sex Link Chickens. All of them are very calm and quiet except for one. She screams a lot. It seemed to be only when they were hungry and needed food but now it seems like it is all the time. I tried to give her treats to calm down and yesterday it seemed to work. She calmed down and was quiet for the rest of the day. Today, she is screaming all over again. I gave her treats again and as soon as she was done with them she started screaming again. Does anyone know what might be her problem? We just cleaned out the whole coop and run, and installed a new feeder. We have seen her eat from the feeder so we don't think that's it. Please help!!

Thanks,
Meredith
Spoiled for more treats?

Howdy Itsamidge

Just a thought, if she is hungry, have you wormed them?

As I said, the above is just a thought and if everyone appears healthy and happy it could be that she has learnt that her ‘screaming’ gets food and/or treats.

I have a flock of 6 bantams [no roosters] and three of them have had a go at crowing at some stage or another.

One of them is a whinger/whiner and as I work from home, they get a supervised free range when I finish at 4pm until their bed time. I have one who will semi-crow anywhere from 03:15pm onwards because she wants out!

I have one who whinges constantly if someone else is in her nest box and another who sings the egg song long and loud.

Basically, they are vocal creatures and learn pretty quickly that we jump when called
wink.png

I have a whiner too. If you didn't know any better, you'd think she was in pain all the time. She whines all day. She'll stop whining to eat or drink, but it seems she whines between every mouthful.
To me, it just all seems like personality traits.

But yelling, I'm not so familiar with.

Last edited:
I have 18 pullets and 2 cockerels. My girls are very mellow most of the time. I do have 1 BA who spends all day walking around sounding like a goose. I have a WL who has decided to give broody a try, every time I take eggs from under her she screeches like a banchee. They all have some strange quark about them, that's why chicken math happens. We have to see what the "next group " will be like.

I've had a few yellers...seems to come and go.
Do they have lots of room?
What do you feed?
You may be 'training' her to continue this behavior with the 'on demand' treats.

@aart very good point about the training. I only give treats after they calm down. The only abnoxious behavior I reward is the crazy looking "YAY MOM HAS BREAKFAST " dance. Only because the don't get ugly, ugly makes me walk back out with their breakfast.

@aart very good point about the training. I only give treats after they calm down. The only abnoxious behavior I reward is the crazy looking "YAY MOM HAS BREAKFAST " dance. Only because the don't get ugly, ugly makes me walk back out with their breakfast.

yuckyuck.gif
I love the greeting I get every morning .. I kid myself that it has nothing to do with breakfast and everything to do with how much they love me
wink.png

Nothing better than sitting with them handing out meal worms .. seeing them trying to stand on tippy toes and stretching out the go go gadget neck to peer in the bucket is adorable!!

Oh the neck! ! Chickens should be advertised as therapy animals for people with anger issues. How can you not bust up when a big round chicken turns super slim to get the treat out of a paper towel roll. A dab of PB about 1/3 the way through is a sight to see.

Back
Top Bottom