Yellow Bantam chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mmaddie's mom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope this is the right section to place this post.

I have a mixed flock of Bantams. Because my husband wants me to keep my flock under 30, I have decided to try my hand at selective breeding (selling @ the Sale Barn the ones that don't fit, putting the profit back into the flock). As a fluke my hens have produced a small pale yellow to golden bird (not buff, but more definate yellow tones and as babies, they are a much darker yellow than the ones who turn out white) with a black tail and a beard... I now have 2 adult hens, one rooster, 2 half grown and a baby... it's a start. It would also be lovely if I could get green eggs from this type of bird (just a bonus). Right now I am keeping my white and brown hens (great moms and I think that this is where the yellows come from) and some black bearded hens (bearded, who lay green eggs).

I like to add several new birds to my flock each year to keep the blood fresh. What would you recommend to be added to get the desired bird? I don't know too much about pure-breed birds so any suggestions would be appreciated... remember, Bantams.

Thanks for the input!

dmb/mm

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

Are yellow adult chickens that rare? [​IMG]

3. mmaddie's mom

NO one has any suggestions? [​IMG]

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    It would help to have pictures, and also to know where your original chickens came from. If they're from a Farm Store (Tractor Supply, Rural King, Etc.) they might not be "Breeder Quality" to start with.

5. mmaddie's mom

Sorry but don't have access to a digital camera... but the operative words here are "butter yellow adult".

Also, although I am a pure-bred dog snob (GSDs), my chickens are just healthy mutts (given to me or gotten at the Sale Barn) and I don't plan on selling them and making a million dollars... this is just for my own pleasure and the experience.

The question is really about yellow adult birds... but thanks anyway for at least answering.

ps: I know what breeder quality is in dogs... so i'm pretty sure my birds are not breeder quality (shows, big bucks, etc. ?) but they are healthy and happy and I let them breed... and I enjoy them. Oh, and I find adding new blood each year keeps them genetically healthy also. Thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by