Yellow Diarrhea, Lethargic, Panting, and Pale & Shriveled Comb & Waddles

krissyweso

Songster
May 26, 2020
Kent Island, Maryland
My 14 week old Light Brahma (I think he's a cockerel?) Wouldn't come out of the coop today and wouldn't leave a wooden roosting box in the coop.

He's got:
Yellow, milky diarrhea
Lethargy
Panting
Shriveled, pale waddle and comb
Sitting funny with his but in the air (looks like what hens do when they're eggbound)

Can anyone help? Suggestions? Ideas on what is happening?

I've been feeding him nutridrench, vet Rx, and corrid.

I attached a picture of him and a picture of the milky poop (sorry).
16242033663956891247289048659116.jpg
16242034136737951430673736225415.jpg

I've been feeding him nutridrench, vet Rx, and corrid.
What do you feed including treats?

If you are using Corid to treat for Coccidiosis, then stop the Poultry Nutri-Drench since there can be a contraindication.
Liquid Corid dosing is 2 tsp or Powdered Corid dosing is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water.

Have you noticed if his crop is empty, full, fluid or air filled?
How about respiratory symptoms? Coughing, sneezing, mucous, watery eyes, etc.?

What do you feed including treats?

If you are using Corid to treat for Coccidiosis, then stop the Poultry Nutri-Drench since there can be a contraindication.
Liquid Corid dosing is 2 tsp or Powdered Corid dosing is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water.

Have you noticed if his crop is empty, full, fluid or air filled?
How about respiratory symptoms? Coughing, sneezing, mucous, watery eyes, etc.?
I feed him manapro organic feed, and, as far as treats, I give him corn on the cob. He is free, range, though, so he obviously pecks around the yard.

His crop is empty. I was able to get him to eat a little boiled egg white, but not much.

Respiratory-wise, he's just panting a ton. I thought I heard clicking earlier (which I know can mean a respiratory infection) but I don't anymore. His eyes are clear. No discharge.

I'll stop the nutridrench. Thanks for that tip.

That appears to be a pullet to me. At that age, with a Brahma, I doubt it's an egg issue as they don't mature until close to nine or ten months.

Did this pullet come from hatching within your flock? A private farm? Hatchery? The clicking sound when she breathes can be from a respiratory infection or from organs compromised by avian virus tumors or organ shut down from heat stress.

If it's been beastly hot where you live, perhaps she's suffering from heat sickness. It might explain the concentrated urates. I would treat for heat stroke first before anything. Apply cool compresses under her wing pits to cool her body. Gatoraid or poultry electrolytes syringe fed if needed each hour all day. Keep her in a cool quiet place with constant access to the electrolyte water or straight Gatoraid.

That appears to be a pullet to me. At that age, with a Brahma, I doubt it's an egg issue as they don't mature until close to nine or ten months.

Did this pullet come from hatching within your flock? A private farm? Hatchery? The clicking sound when she breathes can be from a respiratory infection or from organs compromised by avian virus tumors or organ shut down from heat stress.

If it's been beastly hot where you live, perhaps she's suffering from heat sickness. It might explain the concentrated urates. I would treat for heat stroke first before anything. Apply cool compresses under her wing pits to cool her body. Gatoraid or poultry electrolytes syringe fed if needed each hour all day. Keep her in a cool quiet place with constant access to the electrolyte water or straight Gatoraid.
So, I got Frisbee (that's his/her name) from a local NPIP certified family farm. I got her April 10th and was told she was two weeks old. This is a picture of her and her sister who are supposedly the same age...
PXL_20210531_204215929.MP~2.jpg

See why I thought Frisbee is a cockerel? Next to Kiwibird (on the left), Frisbee (on the right) really looks like a cockerel.

I live on the eastern shore of Maryland, so it's pretty hot and humid, and she does have A LOT of feathers. I'm going to try your Gatorade/cold compress method. Thank you for that tip. I'm waiting for my fiance to come home with Gatorade, but I've started the cold compresses.

I was hanging out with her just last night, watching TV, and she had seemed fine. Maybe she overheated overnight.

Her color is starting to come back in her waddles, and she's stopped panting, but she's very sleepy. Do you think this is good or bad?

Thank you so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom