Yellow eyelid

ilovemychooks1

Chirping
May 3, 2021
recently, I noticed my chicken had yellow colouring around the eye and eyelid. Before hers was white and my other chickens eyelids are white but hers is yellow. She also started moulting late august and then stopped for a few weeks and moulted heavily again. She is always dropping feathers and her poop is a bjt liquid. She is eating less and also sometimes puffs up in the corner with my other one ( I have 2). It doesn’t look yellow in the photo but compared to my other hen the same breed, hers is way more yellow

Attachments

• C9A314B0-E5AA-429E-B278-22D389C74AF6.jpeg
    C9A314B0-E5AA-429E-B278-22D389C74AF6.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 13
Are both areas around eyes yellow? How old is she? Did she lay eggs regularly before molting? Is her lower belly enlarged, and has she lost weight through her breast muscles? Have you checked her skin below the vent and sides for lice or mites?

Are both areas around eyes yellow? How old is she? Did she lay eggs regularly before molting? Is her lower belly enlarged, and has she lost weight through her breast muscles? Have you checked her skin below the vent and sides for lice or mites?
Both yellow. She’s a year old. No she had some soft shell egg issues and haven’t laid for week. Her lower belly isn’t enlarged and I don’t think she lost weight but she eats les. Idk I checked I didn’t see lice and mites

I gave dried cracked corn but my other hen doesn’t have a yellow face. Could it be her yolk? She hasn’t been laying for at least 2 weeks she suddenly started moulting heavily AGAIN. And the other one is moulting slower and still laying a few days a week.
While they are laying the ingested carotin (carrots and corn) will go to the eggyolk, but as soon as they stop to lay, the carotin remains in their body giving their legs a nice yellow colour again and sometimes even their skin (or in white birds their new feathers) may get a yellow hue.

Just to be on the safe side, I would prepare some milk thistle tea for her, which will help with possible liver issues.You could also buy some milk thistle capsules and sprinkle it on her feed mash for 4-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom