Yellow Foamy Poop - PLEASE READ AND HELP ME.

SusanAtterton

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2018
Grovetown, Ga
I have read tons of these messages and only have become more confused. Attached is a picture.

We brought home four more hens from the local farm & feed store, separated them from the rest of the flock; but kept them near, in hopes to quickly integrate. Put wormer in their water (to be safe) and they were immediately laying. They are still laying (as are my others). Everyone is happy, vocal, moving about; however, today there is yellow foamy poop coming from all of them that are in this general area.
Last week, we had temps 30's - 60's and this week it is peaking in the 80's. I cannot tell if they are consuming more water because we installed five-gallon waterers because of the addition of the new hens... (insert eye roll). My family does nothing in stages. I need to know what to do or if I need to do nothing but watch them for a few days. Is there a problem because of their current poop? I have examined poop charts, but have not had chickens long enough to know.
Please help.

Attachments

• YELLOW POOP.jpg
    YELLOW POOP.jpg
    900.1 KB · Views: 39
Do you mean they are ONLY doing this type of poop or are there 'normal' ones in there too?

Chickens have a type of poop called a caecal. It is usually a yellowy mustard colour, foamy or runny and smells awful. It is also completely normal. Each chicken will do a number of these each day so if your new ones are confined to a small area, it will seem like there are a lot of these, whereas your other chickens will have done theirs spread over the area of their run so it may not have come to your attention.

If there are normal poops in the run with the new ones too and everyone seems healthy and happy, then you're probably seeing caecals but it is wise to quarantine the new ones for at least a week anyway and then you can monitor the situation x

Ok. There are normal poops and these poops, so I guess everything is ok. The new hens have been with us a week yesterday, then this started today. Kind of threw me for a loop. I expected problems last week and because now I am having the problem on the other side of the pen it scared me more. The new hens and the ones they will integrate with are separated; however, close to one another.

Ok. There are normal poops and these poops, so I guess everything is ok. The new hens have been with us a week yesterday, then this started today. Kind of threw me for a loop. I expected problems last week and because now I am having the problem on the other side of the pen it scared me more. The new hens and the ones they will integrate with are separated; however, close to one another.

It's probably OK then BUT keep a close eye on things. Chickens can go down hill fast if they're poorly. It's also wiser to quarantine birds away from your established flock so that they cannot pass anything to them but it's done now so not to worry, just be vigilant xx

Mine all file out in the morning as I open coops, and each does a nice caecel poop.............and yes, they smell yucky ! Glad they wait to get outdoors to poop that kind. The morning nature call.
:lau

Look up some info on coccidiosis. Do your hens have any of the following symptoms? I know it usually affects younger birds but the poo does look a bit suspicious to me. Watch them closely separate them until you know for sure they are fine because it is quite contagious if it is coccidiosis which is spread through their droppings and can live on the ground for a long time a year I think. However there's a good chance that your chickens have built up a resistance to it and the new hens had no resistance. On the other hand it could be nothing at all chickens just do weird poos sometimes. Hoping it's the latter.

Below a list of symptoms to watch for
  • Bloody droppings
  • pink intestinal tissue in droppings
  • hunched posture with ruffled feathers
  • droopiness
  • loss of appetite or even interest in water
  • slow growth
  • weakness/lethargy
  • anaemia – look for pale comb and skin

Caecal poops *should not* be yellow and foamy.... caecal poops should be dark and creamy, more like a liquified tar... stink, yes...

Yellow and foamy could be worms or cocci...

Back
Top Bottom