Yellow goo on chick?

seramachick8

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 30, 2012
North Texas
I got some eggs off ebay and they were due to hatch. Only one started hatching and it hadn't made any progress so i decided it was stuck. As i was picking at some of the shell, i noticed its eye was covered in this yellow crusty stuff. The egg was dripping yellow liquid. We got it out and its loud and fully alive but we don't know what the goo is...weve hatched hundreds of chicks and never seen anything like it! Anybody know what it is?

We are trying to get the crust off of its head (its completely covered in it one one side of the head). we put some aveno on it and it seems to be helping get the crust off.

i don't know what it is but i hope he is okay. maybe something happened when you were helping him out of the egg, or maybe something is wrong with him not allowing him to absorb the yolk? good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks! I think maybe that was it...The crust around the eye made me thing its been several hours since it started leaking... It seems to be doing fine now. Ill post an update tomorrow :)

Right now the chick acts healthy, but all it does is lay on its back. I help it drink and eat. Its legs are all stretched out. Anybody know what to do now?

Back
Top Bottom