Yellow Jackets HELP

justlearning

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Just went out to the coop and there were a ton of yellow jackets buzzing around the remains of a pear. What can I use that will get rid of them without hurting the chickens. My daughter is deathly allergic to yellow jackets so we have some professional dust that we use around the yard--but don't know if it is safe to use around the chickens. Plus I can't figure out where they are living in that part of the yard.

I wouldn't put out the pear. If it has sugar those stingers will always be all over it. When I use to do ironwork, during lunch one day I watched a bunch of them drink a half of an orange crush in about 20 minutes. If it has sugar, just get out of the way.

Your local TSC or Big R or Walmart carry yellow jacket traps I am alergic to them and the wife has three traps around my deck they work great. They are see through floresent yellow and they crawl in to the bait and cant escape then die.

Something to try..... A local retaurant places sheets of Bounce in the center of each out door table. I asked the waitress about the sheet and she said they were having a really big problem with wasps and hornets trying to steal food off of customers plates.... Apparently something in the Bounce repels the little stingers!! My office mate tried it at home and she said she thought it worked!

They will go for ripe/rotten fruit and sugary drinks--keep it cleaned up and covered. Those wasp traps work but place them away from where people will be eating or sitting. One of the worst accidents I've seen with them was when a friend was drinking a soft drink out of a can that a yellow jacket had gone into--he was stung in the tongue and, since he was allergic, it swelled up and almost choked him before he got medical attention. These wasps are nothing to fool with. On the other hand they don't seem to bother most chickens that will eat them if they catch them.

Last edited:
When I was a Boy Scout ( a few years ago) we always carried a bar of Ivory soap....placed it at the entrance. Seem to work.................

Back
Top Bottom