Yellow lesion on comb

CrazyChickies

Chirping
May 26, 2022
My 8 week old bantam rooster has this hard raised dry tan/yellow spot on his comb. No one else in the flock has it. Doesn’t seem to bother him. Should I be worried?
2F34002D-F98F-4387-89AE-8B2CFC2192F4.png
14DC3F92-81BB-4F65-B8C6-AEEAD2641C96.png
2F34002D-F98F-4387-89AE-8B2CFC2192F4.png
14DC3F92-81BB-4F65-B8C6-AEEAD2641C96.png

I concur with prior post by Sourland, looks like a bite from a sister hen.

I would wash it with something not harsh, and spray with one of the chicken disinfectant (a little diluted vinegar if you don't have any on hand, I wouldn't rush out to buy for that if you don,t have any on hand.

In a day or two I would rub with a little bag-balm (if you don't have that try a little Vaseline, or, if not that a very small drop of olive oil.).

Keep an eye out for more pecking injuries though, that is a bigger problem in the making. I try to let them work it out as long as the injuries don't stop a hen from eating and don't start to draw blood.

Counterintuitively... If I see one hen being mean to others instead of punishment to the bad hen or rescuing the victim I find the best results come from gathering up the bad hen in my arms and being tender with her. Soft whispers in her ears and hold her gently in my arms, that desolves the behaviour and makes the bad hen calmer. The aggressive behaviour seems to be fear based more than anger based. (Shrug). Works with my spoiled girls.

I concur with prior post by Sourland, looks like a bite from a sister hen.

I would wash it with something not harsh, and spray with one of the chicken disinfectant (a little diluted vinegar if you don't have any on hand, I wouldn't rush out to buy for that if you don,t have any on hand.

In a day or two I would rub with a little bag-balm (if you don't have that try a little Vaseline, or, if not that a very small drop of olive oil.).

Keep an eye out for more pecking injuries though, that is a bigger problem in the making. I try to let them work it out as long as the injuries don't stop a hen from eating and don't start to draw blood.

Counterintuitively... If I see one hen being mean to others instead of punishment to the bad hen or rescuing the victim I find the best results come from gathering up the bad hen in my arms and being tender with her. Soft whispers in her ears and hold her gently in my arms, that desolves the behaviour and makes the bad hen calmer. The aggressive behaviour seems to be fear based more than anger based. (Shrug). Works with my spoiled girls.
Thank you for all the good advice. I will watch them closely for pecking.

Back
Top Bottom