Yellow liquid coming out of hens vent

ascott11

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
I have a chicken that’s acting a little more calmer than normal and when I went to pick to pick her up and check her I noticed that a yellow liquid was coming out of her vent after I checked for a bound egg. I felt around her abdomen and did an internal check and didn’t feel anything. When I pressed on her abdomen to massage it to see if anything was stuck was when the yellow liquid came out. I’ve called around to several vets and can’t be seen today. She did go into a nesting box so I’m not sure if she maybe needs to lay an egg. She really isn’t eating any snacks or treats like she normally would so I am a little concerned about her. She also isn’t running with the rest of the flock.

update: I gave her a warm soak and she did poop while soaking. She went to the nesting box again after the soak and hopefully is laying. I felt around her vent again and didn’t feel anything out of sorts.

Last edited:
Was it clear yellow or opaque or solid yellow liquid? If you see any more dropping like that, post a picture. Is her tail position up or down? Next time you examine her, check to see if her lower belly between the legs is enlarged or fuller than others. Will she eat and drink for you? Sometimes a sick hen will take to a nest box because she feels bad. I would make sure that she drinks water especially. Has she been a regular layer recently, and were her egg shells normal and hard?

Was it clear yellow or opaque or solid yellow liquid? If you see any more dropping like that, post a picture. Is her tail position up or down? Next time you examine her, check to see if her lower belly between the legs is enlarged or fuller than others. Will she eat and drink for you? Sometimes a sick hen will take to a nest box because she feels bad. I would make sure that she drinks water especially. Has she been a regular layer recently, and were her egg shells normal and hard?
I noticed she was drinking from spots around the yard. It was a mix of clear, some white and yellow. She did poop while she was soaking. Her tail is up but she was just nibbling at things. She usually goes nuts for her treats and she just wasn’t interested in them. She also didn’t run much today and didn’t put up a fight when I picked her up. She did jump out of the tub during her soak and was able to jump to her roosting bars.

I had a chicken who was egg bound and she acted just like that give her a epsom salt bath and leave her in the garage or your house ours name was ginger she layed her egg the next morning and was fine after that

Back
Top Bottom