Yellow/Orange/Brown Diarrhea-Negative Fecal Test-Now what?

If you're having deaths it couldn't hurt to dose them with Corid just to be safe and see how they respond to it. Mine had all the symptoms of coccidiosis but tested negative in a fecal... the Vet and a BYC member advised me to medicate and I did, and I'm glad because they did start looking better after a few days. I don't know why it didn't show up in the nasty diarrhea samples I took in, or if the person who did the test didn't know what they were doing, but by the way they responded to the corid I don't think it was anything else.

They eat Scratch & Peck feed only.
I have a lot of loose stools going on…could be considered cecal, but I feel like there is more than should be.
One 17wk old hen has been off to the side fluffed up and trying to sleep on and off for a couple weeks. Recently submitted her stool for ova and parasites with Giardia tests, all came back negative. She perked up some in isolation with cooked egg yolks, vitamins, probiotics mixed into her feed, but is doing some fluffed up sleeping again.

Another hen that I noticed showing symptoms yesterday died in isolation last night. Her keel bone was quite prominent when I pulled her from the flock, so I knew she was worse off than the other.
Any thoughts on what I can do next to help my flock???
Looks like cecal poop and possibly some undigested material.

That said, the puffed up, unkempt appearance and your description, I'd consider treating for Coccidiosis.
Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid powder dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days. Treat them all.

For the worst one, I'd direct oral drench her in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water. Instructions are here https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements to the water or feed during the course of treatment.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Provide crushed granite grit for your flock.

That said, the puffed up, unkempt appearance and your description, I'd consider treating for Coccidiosis.
Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid powder dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days. Treat them all.

For the worst one, I'd direct oral drench her in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water. Instructions are here https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements to the water or feed during the course of treatment.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Provide crushed granite grit for your flock.
Thank you! I treated for Coccidiosis in July and Corid did not work. Confirmed by fecal test. So I followed up with Endocox. Do you recommend I start with Corid again, or go straight to Endocox?

@Wyorp Rock my flock has been treated with Corid for the last 7 days hoping that would help this hen. She is now breathing deeply, with her mouth slightly open and doing something that looks/sounds like a sneeze and hiccup all at once. She did a lot more of that earlier today, now just the slightly open mouth breathing. No drainage anywhere. Is alert and eating/drinking a lot in isolation.

@Wyorp Rock my flock has been treated with Corid for the last 7 days hoping that would help this hen. She is now breathing deeply, with her mouth slightly open and doing something that looks/sounds like a sneeze and hiccup all at once. She did a lot more of that earlier today, now just the slightly open mouth breathing. No drainage anywhere. Is alert and eating/drinking a lot in isolation
Can you get a video of her?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.
I don’t know what I’m doing and not sure why the video isn’t sharp, but here is a clip of her breathing. You can hear it when quiet. I couldn’t catch her “sneeze”. It’s not happening as much as yesterday morning. It looks like a sneeze and sounds like a hiccup or squeak.

Can you get a video of her?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.
I will also add that last night I did notice a tiny bit of moisture around nostril.
I have a medication called Denagard on hand that I’ve never used…but have no clue of that would be helpful here.

Back
Top Bottom