Yellow poo in my bantam hen

UltimateElektra

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2023
Hi yesterday i noticed my bantam hen acting a bit off. Tail down, and a little fluffed up. Her crop is soft and feels a bit empty.

She has gross yellow poop on her feather and when i checked their dropping board i see yellow urates and lots of runny white.

She also hasnt laid an egg in about a week.

they eat an all flock with some sunflower seeds mixed in. Plenty of fresh water and lots of bugs when they forage.

She is getting a wash bath tonight.

Suggestions on what it could be? I love this girl, she is so friendly and loves snuggles. 🥺
1000005597.jpg

Sorry about your hen.

Might she be picking through the feed and eating only the sunflower seeds you put in there? Chickens are like children - if you give them a choice, they will only eat the junk food and leave all the nutritious stuff behind.

That being said, yellow urates, barring something that she ate, indicates infection. With the way she is behaving, I would say that is a good chance.

When did you feel her crop? If it was in the morning, it should be empty.

Do you have antibiotics on hand?

Sorry about your hen.

Might she be picking through the feed and eating only the sunflower seeds you put in there? Chickens are like children - if you give them a choice, they will only eat the junk food and leave all the nutritious stuff behind.

That being said, yellow urates, barring something that she ate, indicates infection. With the way she is behaving, I would say that is a good chance.

When did you feel her crop? If it was in the morning, it should be empty.

Do you have antibiotics on hand?
I felt it yesterday afternoon. Before they free ranged, its normally full.. i held off on the sunflower seeds today.

Unfortunately i do not have antibiotics on hand and cant buy them in store without an RX but i can order on amazon i beleive.

What kind would be recommended?

Yellow diarrhea could be caused by lots of different reasons: live failure, infection, worm, vent gleet, etc. Read about these things and compare the symptoms to see if you can have a better diagnosis. Does it look like vent gleet? If so, treat it with Miconazole. When did you deworm last time? If not recently, you may consider to deworm first. You can order antibiotics for pigeons online. Start to give her probiotics and nutri-drench that will help to stabilize her.

Yellow diarrhea could be caused by lots of different reasons: live failure, infection, worm, vent gleet, etc. Read about these things and compare the symptoms to see if you can have a better diagnosis. Does it look like vent gleet? If so, treat it with Miconazole. When did you deworm last time? If not recently, you may consider to deworm first. You can order antibiotics for pigeons online. Start to give her probiotics and nutri-drench that will help to stabilize her.
I didnt Think vent gleet let me review that further. Thanks

In my experience yellow poops are from reproductive infection, but if the urates are yellow while stool is still brown or green, the issue is liver disorder probably due to water belly or the reproductive disorder. If you see yellow fluid or mucus, that could be a number of things. You really cannot get antibiotics very easily without a vet. You might get enrofloxacin or amoxicillin powder from a pigeon supplier such as Jedds.com, and either of those are affective with a reproductive infection only when treated early.

In my experience yellow poops are from reproductive infection, but if the urates are yellow while stool is still brown or green, the issue is liver disorder probably due to water belly or the reproductive disorder. If you see yellow fluid or mucus, that could be a number of things. You really cannot get antibiotics very easily without a vet. You might get enrofloxacin or amoxicillin powder from a pigeon supplier such as Jedds.com, and either of those are affective with a reproductive infection only when treated early.
They have both at Jedds but wont be in until 31st. I have people amoxicillin. Can i use that? If so how much..

Edit: found info on another post and have dosed her accordingly.

Last edited:
Also, a hack that @Wyorp Rock told me about when I had to give one of my gals Amoxicillin is to take the amount you need and put it in a small amount of coconut oil, mix it up and freeze it. When it is time to give it to her, just take a coconut oil "pill" to her.

You have undoubtedly found out that the power does not mix well with water. (It also tastes yucky.) The powder mixes well with the oil and since the coconut oil solidifies around 75 degrees it is much easier to open the beak and pop the pill in and let her swallow.

Makes dosing so much easier! I would make a few days at a time.

I hope she gets better quickly. 💕

Back
Top Bottom