Yellow poop, lethargic, not eating! My 2yr old hen is poorly!

SunflowerDays

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
England
Hello all.
My Mary-Lou is not herself. I found her breathing deeply in the coop during the day, through her mouth. I picked her up, which normally is a fight. She was limp. I syringed water into her but yellow discharge/mucus came out the other end straight away. In the evening, gave her more water with cider vinegar with mother (I’m English BTW so you may call it different - apologies). Separated her from the flock into isolation, with a hot water bottle deep under the hay (we’ve been having frost in the mornings, she could lay away from the heat), some liquidy food an egg yoke and some water. I was told by the others she won’t make the night....... can anyone assist me if they’ve had something similar with their chicken? She is a hybrid and lives with 8 others in a free range island. Tucked up at night for safe keeping.
There are wildfowl that also live here, but are not kept, they are literally wild, as we live on an island surrounded by water. Don’t know if that affects anything?
Thank you in advance.
Emma.

Age of hen?

Has she been laying?

Any egg quality issues?

When was the last egg from her?

Is there a continual discharge from her vent?

Is her crop full and squishy?

Have you checked her crop in the morning to see if it's emptying overnight?

How long as she had the yellow runny poop?

Can she stand? How is her balance?

Can you post a photo of her?

Age of hen?

Has she been laying?

Any egg quality issues?

When was the last egg from her?

Is there a continual discharge from her vent?

Is her crop full and squishy?

Have you checked her crop in the morning to see if it's emptying overnight?

How long as she had the yellow runny poop?

Can she stand? How is her balance?

Can you post a photo of her?

Hello Azygous

thank you for responding! I’ve attached a video of her, she’s made the night! Phew!
She was alert and standing. Slightly docile and was keeping away from the other chickens. However, she had slept on an egg yoke and was allowing the others to eat it off even though it had gone hard. I think because she was still vacant. It was as though she was coming out of an operation and was still waking up. I think this is the best video of showing you the crop. It doesn’t look blown up in any way.
I noticed she had yellow discharge for 1 day and the clear discharge was after I fed her the water and vinegar.

she is 2 years old. I don’t know when she last laid because she is in a coop of 9. We normally get about 6-7 eggs. Though we only had 4 today!
I cleaned her up in warm water which she liked, all yoke off, and messy bottom gone.
Her vent looked good and normal, nothing to report about. I did see some strange small ‘things’ on the feathers that were not moving and no eggs at the base of the skin. Maybe because I had washed them all off in the warm water? I don’t know, she was in there for a good 20 minutes and I kept topping up the warm water, it also had washing up liquid in to help break up the dried egg. Maybe drowned the creatures, or were they residue of the poop that has swirled from the water and stuck on the hard part of the feather?
She is drinking and drinking and drinking. Only bright green and yellow poop now. 🤔
I’ve isolated her for a second night, so I can check her poop and see if she has eaten or laid an egg.
thanks for your time. 👍🏻
Emma.

Attachments

• BF0EEC50-E2E6-4B40-AA85-9379A8D35BD6.png
    BF0EEC50-E2E6-4B40-AA85-9379A8D35BD6.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 35F8F8AF-E3B6-4E8E-9D14-F411E4FAA7D3.png
    35F8F8AF-E3B6-4E8E-9D14-F411E4FAA7D3.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • C8F33F32-3BDE-47AC-B965-46AB37E54648.jpeg
    C8F33F32-3BDE-47AC-B965-46AB37E54648.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 5
Put her on a thick towel so you can judge more easily how much fluid she's losing from her vent. This is important. If she's losing a lot of fluid, and especially if it smells acrid and unpleasant, she may have a blockage. A stuck egg perhaps. The towel will also reveal exactly what her poop looks like and how much there is. I have a set of very old towels I use for this purpose.

Do you have any calcium supplements? I use calcium citrate as it's very fast acting, but any form of calcium will do. Try to find something that's at least 500mg. More is better. This will stimulate contractions, and if there's an egg, this will help her expel it.

Until morning when there's more to go on, that's about all you can do for now.

Put her on a thick towel so you can judge more easily how much fluid she's losing from her vent. This is important. If she's losing a lot of fluid, and especially if it smells acrid and unpleasant, she may have a blockage. A stuck egg perhaps. The towel will also reveal exactly what her poop looks like and how much there is. I have a set of very old towels I use for this purpose.

Do you have any calcium supplements? I use calcium citrate as it's very fast acting, but any form of calcium will do. Try to find something that's at least 500mg. More is better. This will stimulate contractions, and if there's an egg, this will help her expel it.

Until morning when there's more to go on, that's about all you can do for now.

Hello again
Her faeces isn’t smelly. She seems a lot mire chirpy now. She has started eating
I don’t know if she has laid an egg.
I shall keep an eye on her, but I think she is improving greatly.
Maybe a 24 hour bug?
the apple cider vinegar may have helped?
who knows!
thank you for your help.
I shall leave it for now and buy the calcium supplements for future emergencies - good to know.

best wishes.
Emma. 😊

Mary Lou is all ok! Complete recovery within 48hours. It looks as though she had the Coccidiosis however a very mild form and she must have been very strong that kept her alive. Her faeces was normal within 36 hours and she was eating within 48hours. Thank you. 😊

Back
Top Bottom