Yellow Skin, Clear Yellow Shanks = Grey Junglefowl/Ceylon Junglefowl introgression

nicalandia

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
Not news really, just wanted to point out that research has only mentioned the Yellow skin allele(w for yellow skin W+ for white skin), every research(perhaps I overlooked or could not find them) paper found on the subject seems to have forgotten about the sex linked dermal inhibitor gene that produces clear shanks(Id/-, w/w will produce yellow shanks females), so clear yellow shanks found in the domestic chickens is due to two alleles, the recessive autosomal yellow skin allele(w/w) and the sex linked dermal inhibitor(Id) allele, interestingly enough such phenotype can be found in both the Grey Junglefowl and Ceylon Junglefowl. So I propose that until proven otherwise the sex linked dermal inhibitor gene(Id/Id) be also considered of a gene inherited from the Grey/Ceylon Junglefowl during it's introgression early in the domestication of chicken in Asia.

Ceylon Junglefowl, yellow skin and clear yellow shanks
Gallus_lafayetii_Sri_Lanka_Junglefowl.jpg

Grey Junglefowl, yellow skin and clear yellow shanks
grey-junglefowl.jpg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2265484/
tileshop (1).jpg

Some more info.

From Genetics of the fowl Frederick Bruce Hutt 1949

Hutt 1949.jpg

So next time when you are about to indulge in a Juice yellow skin broiler think about how it's yellow skin came from such a cool bird, the Grey Jungle fowl(Gallus Soneratii)
yellow.jpg

Back
Top Bottom