1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yellow yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SowdersHomestead, Sep 10, 2012.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I just picked up 6 Golden Comets. Wow, they are egglaying machines. After cracking open my first egg from them it was obvious they were raised in a barn on grain. Here on my farm they get to forage to their hearts desire and seem to love doing so.

Does anyone know how long it will take for the foraging to effect their yolks, turning them orange with stout whites and great taste. Right now they taste like store bought eggs. When I reach in for an egg in the fridge I'll skim over theirs and pick one of my other girls eggs.

Thanks

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Shouldn't be long...the egg process is about 21 to 36 hours, so within just a couple days of them being able to access green, you should see the color and taste improving. You can give it a jump start by supplementing their diet with whatever greens you have on hand...dandelion leaves are awesome! Spinach, kale, chard...all are really good too.

We got our Red ones from a local farmer who had a dirt run as well...and it only took about 2 days for their yolks to get color and taste like "real" eggs, LOL.

3. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    I would guess 2 or 3 days but since I don't actualy know you should post on here how long it took because I'm interested in finding out. :D

4. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I don't know exactly how long it took cuz I gave those eggs away to family. :)

But as of now they have oranged up and the whites are much less watery. I'd say it probably takes 7 - 10 days due that they already have several eggs formed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by