Yes, another goat question

kodiakchicken

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
Kodiak, Alaska
Now that our chickens and ducks are almost grown and we are anticipating the arrival of fresh eggs soon I have been playing with the idea of getting a small milk goat. We're really working toward becoming self-sustaining.

Here's my question. We only have a 1/2 acre (minus what the house sits on) that is mainly rock and weeds/tall grass. We haven't planted a lawn and probably won't, but we have to cut the weeds and grass back every year. The chickens free range during the day, but I haven't noticed an impact to the grassy areas. How much land do you actually need to keep a goat in green forage? I know that we would have to buy hay and feed, particularly in the winter, but would they completely eat the "yard" down to dirt or would they just keep it trimmed (I'm thinking one nanny goat, maybe a male and female).

I just don't know if it would be worth it. Maybe some of you more experienced folks would be better at figuring the dollar value of having our own milk. Milk is $3.75/gallon here. A 120 compressed bale of timothy costs $23.00. I don't know what a bag of goat feed costs, but a 50lb bag of chicken grower feed is $20.00 - so that might give some perspective.

I recognize the benefits of growing your own, but I also have to take the cost considerations into effect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't think less than 1/2 acre is sufficient for a goat personally. Maybe others could say for sure. I would think with the chickens that is about full. I would think at least an acre or more for goats and chickens.

Maybe in the environment of Alaska things are different. You would have to evaluate your own circumstances.

Last edited:
Get off of here Aimee you can't get a goat.
KooKoo!!
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
You would need 2 goats, because they are herd animals, just one would be lonely and cry alot and do damage out of boredom. So 1/2 acre would not be enough room.

Yes 1/2 acre would be enough with the right feed and hay. You would probably need the smaller type of goat like Nigerians or maybe mini Alpines or other type. I have 42 goats and they are on a small area but I feed twice a day and supply hay and water to all. It can be done. If you are wanting the larger breeds I dont know why you couldnt do it. All you can do is try. Nigerians dont graze on grass, mostly larger goat breeds do graze on grass but they all like weeds. Good luck in your decision and if it dont work out you could always sell them and they dont take as much to feed as a cow, or space.

You would need two goats, they don't do well alone. On 1/2 acre, they will likely spend most of their time on your porch. I have three acres and that's where mine want to be. Also, they'll eat tall weeds and possibly tall grass, but they wan't eat it to the ground, just the upper 2-3 inches. You'll have to supplement their feed ration, alfalfa and hay with goat minerals. They'll require regular worming and hoof trimming. Most importantly, in order to get milk, you'll have to breed them. Goats usually have twins after their first pregnancy, so that would leave you with more goats than your property can sustain.

i've got eight mini goats on about what you have, possibly a little less till the fences get moved. mine get hay and feed(i pay anywhere from 9-11 for a 50lb bag) plus they don't stay in the pen. the pen is for nighttime but my buck, starry, sleeps on the porch with the lgd and my evil goat cinabon sleeps on top of the van at night. the good ones stay in their pen till the mail comes and then i let them out for the rest of the day. the little ones won't eat your yard to dirt. they nibble then move on. mine prefer the ditches anyway. i am lucky to live in an area where we are on a private drive. i don't see why you couldn't have a few goats on what you have or a couple big ones. i just think the important thing is being able to let them out of their pen so they can play and roam some but i've known people that don't. i had a couple la manchas visit that fit in my pen fine, wouldn't try more than two though, and even in my yard they still had plenty of room. we let sections of the yard grow up for them and don't usually mow the back so they can go back there too but honestly they nibble in the yard more after it has been mowed. get yourself some goats.

I agree that you definately have to get more than 1. It would be very lonely. I also think that you would have enough room, especially if you get something like a nigerian's, you could get 2 females and get the same amount of milk you would from 1 large breed. You will definately have to feed all year around. My goats always seem to prefer to eat the dead and dried out weeds and grass, or tree bark, not necessarily the green weeds and grass growing all in their run. Mine also live in harmony with my 25+ chickens that free range during the day.

Back
Top Bottom