Yes My Hen is Crowing.

new2thischick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Mendocino coast
I had the unfortunate experience of having my rooster that we raised from a hatchling die. It was an unexpected death. He just one day got weak and the next day passed. He was only 2 yrs old. However within a week of him passing, one of our 6 yr old Orpington/Black Polish hens started crowing. I keep reading this is uncommon and she doesn't do it every day.. Is this something that will continue for a long time? Will she turn into a full blown Rooster? Is the sudden absence of the rooster that caused this? If anyone has anything on this I am all ears, or eyes rather.

It sounds like they are mourning their loss of your rooster and possibly even calling for him thinking.maybe if they crow he will return. Mine did something similar when the boys were sold. No one's changing into a rooster. Not possible. :)

When a rooster dies the flock loses their leader. To fill in the gap sometimes an alpha hen takes over the role. She cannot physically turn into a rooster but, her behavior can mimic one.

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :) Don't worry about hens crowing. It is said to be uncommon, but two of my hens crow, and they are completely fine. It is just something non-laying and/or very dominant hens do.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, the occasional dominant hen will crow, if you don't get another rooster she will probably keep doing it.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock!
frow.gif
I had the same thing happen when one of my roosters died. One hen starting crowing all the time. She stayed the dominant hen until we got another rooster to put her back in line.

Back
Top Bottom