Yes or No on Diatomaceous Earth??

What about using the DE along the outside boarder of everything? Would that help keep things out? I was told DE was great to use (I bought a small jug for 20.00!) I got it also because we have an ongoing flea battle (took a dog in that had been dumped on the side of the road, and he was loaded. Never had fleas in that area in the 7 yrs we lived here until he came (sadly, he passed from bloat last fall), but now it is an ongoing issue, I cannot get rid of them! (And I have 4 dogs, so not good!) I was told to use the DE directly on them, as well as in cracks, crevices, furniture, etc. (Sorry to go off topic, anyone ever used it for fleas?)

Yes to DE. I have always sprinkled it down in the coop before I spread my bedding. Just be careful not to breath it. I have mine in a container the allows me to sprinkle it. It's a great way to use something completely natural as a line of defense against creepy crawlies on your chickens.

I bought the food grade DE on line, 30 lbs for 20 bucks, came with a "puffer". I really like it for inside the house (Dogs/cat = fleas) and in the coop. It can be used every where for any bugs with a hard shell body and being in FL we have a lot of those!

I also use DE "Food Grade" Only. I wear a mask and before letting the chickens out of the coop I will dust around the run and once they are in the run I also sprinkle some in the coop.

I am not sure if others also use it as a dewormer for chickens, but I do that too. Sprinkle in a small amount - table spoon(ish) - into their feed and mix it in very well. I do this about every 3 months. The vet I go to told me about this when he found out we were getting chickens. But it MUST be the food grade quality (very white fine powder - not grey or redish).

I have been using it since March and have no complaints, just wear a mask especially if it is windy.

I use Dry Stall. It's supposed to be good for absorbing moisture and keeping down odor. Not harmful to animals. I couldn't find sweet PDZ. I hope this won't hurt my chickens because they eat everything.

I found food grade DE in the organic fertilizer section at Menards for $9 a ten pound bag, I use it in my garden on the veggies and just put some around the coop and run as a preventative.

Back
Top Bottom