Yesterday's dust bath = todays MUDHOLE!

EggsForIHOP

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
TEXAS
54700_image2.jpg

The charming image above - which was so hilarious on Sunday - was a half foot deep sink pit of quick sand after it rained today! BEWARE THE CUTENESS OF THE GROUP DUST BATH! For it brings disaster when one has on brand new work shoes and is parked parallel to it right after a rain storm! One day I'm taking pics and laughing - the next I'm on my butt in the mud cussing the chickens while they watch with curious looks on their faces as if to say "What are YOU doing in OUR spot?"

It was really sweet to watch them all jump in at one time though when it was still dusty. Guess I have to stop parking there...

Quote:
LOL - THANKFULLY only the neighbors dog and the chickens were around, though DH did question the muddy clothing thrown beside the washer (didn't even try to cover my tracks and hide the evidence)

And as for rotating - they probably wouldn't go for it - they love that spot. I made them a special dust bath spot following instructions found on here - they checked it out once and since then it's been ignored. That spot right there however is TOTALLY all the rage in their world this week - open the door to the run and they FLY to jump in it! We have mostly three choices for ground - grass, gravel, and clay. It's the only "pure dirt" in the yard really, shoulda seen THAT hot mess coming right? As for pigs...

We do have 2 pigs that are NOT allowed that close to the house, they have their own muddy spot AWAY from the house. See the extra filthy bucket? Right in the middle? The piggies did that for me - rolled it through their muddy spot like it was a soccer ball and had a fit when I took it away - and it was FULL of fence stuff because I was trying to work on their pen at that exact moment in time. Can you say NO NO BAD PIG? 'Cause if you did, you just called them over to you! That and the phrase STOP IT! make them come over to see what I want. Thanks to them, I have come in filthy and smelling like pig a few times already. I learned my lesson a little quicker with them! just biding my time...waiting on bacon now...because they smell...and then you smell...but they are oh so tasty!

Back
Top Bottom