1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

yet another cocci question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pattgal, May 30, 2011.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    So the eggs that are laid during treatment are obviously not edible but can they be hatched???

2. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    I think it depends on the treatment. What are you using? Amprolium has no wait time for meat residue, I could not find the right page that indicates a waiting period for eggs. Sorry I can't be of more help right now!

3. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
  4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    They don't specify, but I think laying means "laying for food purposes" and I would go ahead and try to hatch the eggs if you have room. You could call the manufacturer and ask.

5. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:When I called the store they just told me to throw away the eggs for 2 weeks after the last dose...that sounds about right to me.
    I think I will call the manufacturer and see what they say.....

6. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I called the company and they said to toss the eggs during treatment (and 14 days after the last dose) but she said I would need to speak to a vet if I wanted to hatch the eggs that were laid during treatment.
    unfortunately we don't have poultry vet's in our area.

7. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    So which medicine are you using? I went to go look it up in the Merck manual, but then realized I didn't know which one.

8. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:lol, I'm using what I think you guys call sulmet...it's called sodium sulfamethazine 12.5%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by