Yet ANOTHER Coop Raisin'! YeeHaw!! Ya'all!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sab, May 24, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    Just sharing. I have been so looking forward to this day. Poor birds had a tough time this winter in a tractor. So... the scoop is -- Husband and I have been divorced for 8 yrs now. Getting re-married on our anniversary this Friday. That would be 39 years - 8. What do I want for a 're-wedding' present... WHALAA.... what else but COOP of course!! Doesn't every bride want one? Or should I say every 're-bride'?! So here's the beginning of a weekend of coop raising. Or is it spelled razing??[​IMG] It was suppose to be 12x8 but it appears it will be 15x8 due to a squaring problem by my ex-husband to be-husband again....

Here we are screwing up that squaring thing...
    [​IMG]

Father & son hard at it.... in the mud. PLEASE STOP RAINING!!
    [​IMG]

Son doing most of the work....
    [​IMG]

Both of them are in bed now worn out! Tomorrow - the floor and upward! As for me - I'm on "the" forum telling the world -- it's COOP RAISING TIME! YIPPEEEE!!
    (can you tell I'm happy?)

2. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    [​IMG] I know what you mean about being excited. The footings were poured today for our first coop. I can't wait for it to set/cure so I can start construction on mine. I'll be taking apart an old shed on the property here and re-using the wood to cut down on costs. Can't wait to see yours finished.

3. idispatch4911

idispatch4911 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    HOORAY! Looks super solid so far!

4. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    Congratulations! [​IMG] It is a happy occasion. I'm deep into construction too- all by myself except for friends who are "holders" when I need a hand. It's great that we get excited over simple things [​IMG]

5. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    It's great that we get excited over simple things

My theme in life - "Simple mind, Simple pleasures..."​

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Looks like it is going to be a good one!

7. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    Yeah, you can get more chickens!

8. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    Yeah, you can get more chickens!

I have 3 chickens and a duck. The plan is to add another 3-5 a year for at least 3 yrs. Maybe take a break.... But what I do is buy the chicks and leave them with my niece and grand-niece to raise. First year there were 4 chicks. Only 3 made it here. Predator got the other. This year, I started with 5 chicks. Sunday night coon got one. Only 4 are making it here. Me thinks my niece and grand-niece do not get the biddies next year....[​IMG]

So 8x12+ coop plus 7 chickens and a duck --- I think I have room for more chickens-----plan A!!![​IMG]

9. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Looks like a great start, congrats on your re-marriage!

Are you in New England? It looks just like my back yard, very green and WET! I swear we are now living a rain forest.

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh congrats on your re-marriage! How wonderful is that!? And what a great re-bride present! Hmmmm, should I divorce my husband and then re-marry him for such a nice gift? Naaah, that would be too much trouble. Maybe I'll just ask....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by