yet another feed question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MomtoSyd&Emma, May 20, 2010.

1. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Our broody buff orp just hatched 5 of her 8 eggs we got from a friend (they are bbs orps) I have her in a extra large dog crate with bedding and a "nest box" ok its a rubber maid dish pan lol Anyway all are doing well. My question is this, I havent seen her showing them how to eat unless I sprinkle feed in the nest pan, I havent seen them drink at all yet. I am currently offering them nonmedicated chick starter to all of them. I have 10 chicks inside in a brooder that I am feeding medicated feed too, should the 5 with the Momma have medicated? What will it do to her if she eats it?

also how long does it usually take a broody hen with babies to start laying again? I will have to put her back on layer feed then!!

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Medicated or nonmedicated is fine for the mama, as well as the chicks. One of my broodies started laying again in 2 weeks, and was done with the babies .... she wanted no more of them. So, she returned to the Layers coop and I took the chicks. Others will mother the babies for 5 or 6 weeks. Just watch her and see. It really does vary.

3. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I didnt feed my other 6 chicks medicated last year but they were 8 weeks when we got them, the 10 inside are feed store chicks so we put them on medicated, the 5 with the broody came from a friends farm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by