Yet Another Feeding Question...

Bettyboop7499

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
Hello All,

I've noticed since I've moved my chicken outside into their coop and run (they are approx 12weeks) they don't eat their pellets(Purina Omega 3 blend) anymore. They will eat corn and grass-they love grass- and scraps, worms, any misfortunate bug that happens to fly into their run, grains that have been germinated, and each other's fallen feathers but will not touch the pellets. I don't think they are too big because I've seen them swallow a half green bean!

They haven't started laying yet, so how do I know if they are getting enough food? Every time They hear my voice they come running, like they are starving! I hope they are not! What are some tell-tell signs that they are nogetting enough to eat if they are not in laying age yet?

Until they eat the pellets consistently just give them that.

I've got 10 bantams, 1 of which are just chicks, and they get roughly 25gms of mixed corn and seeds a day between them. I spread it out so they have to hunt it out. Its a treat for them, not their main source of nutrition :)

I've noticed since I've moved my chicken outside into their coop and run (they are approx 12weeks) they don't eat their pellets(Purina Omega 3 blend)
Your chicks at 12 weeks of age should still be getting Start & Grow feed, till 18 weeks or the first egg.
20180515_191626.jpg
Too much Calcium and not enough Protein in a layers feed like Purina Layena Plus Omega 3, for twelve week old's. IMO. GC

Treats should be 10% of their diet. Sounds like, especially at that age, they need to be on a high protein chick starter/ all flock raiser, or finisher. I personally would not resume treats until they start eating their regular food. I know we love to spoil our chickens, but we need to keep them in good health too. Best of wishes

Their poo is solid and the only thing they finish in just few minutes is corn on the cob or germinated grains about 1.5 cups. It seems to take them a couple of days to eat the corn or oats that I put down for them. And I only throw approx. 2.5 cups down.

Back
Top Bottom