Yet Another Feeding Question...

Treats should be 10% of their diet. Sounds like, especially at that age, they need to be on a high protein chick starter/ all flock raiser, or finisher. I personally would not resume treats until they start eating their regular food. I know we love to spoil our chickens, but we need to keep them in good health too. Best of wishes

Betty, check the mill date on your feed. Is it older than 6 weeks? If so, it could be rancid, even though it still smells ok. I would eliminate all the extras you are giving them. If it's a new bag of feed, and the change in eating behavior started with this bag of feed, I'd contact the store, and exchange it for a new bag. However, they may be refusing to eat it b/c they have been spoiled by you. Take away their candy!!!

Oh, we'll we were hoping to get them free ramgimg As soon as possible..now the are true grassfed! Right out of the coop they stretch their wings, we all say Our good mornings but walk pass the feed to forger for goodies and if they are done and still hungry then they'll peck around a

At twelve weeks, they should be eating a chick feed, or an all- flock feed like Flock Raiser, rather than a layer diet. Stop the grains and corn and scraps, and just feed their main diet, and let them run around out there too. Too many goodies, and not enough balanced
nutrition, not good.
You can feed Flock Raiser forever, with oyster shell separately, for laying hens.
Mary

IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0491.JPG Well, we were tying to get them ready for farm life...so far they seem to really love it! At the light of day As we prepare to open the door, I hear Big Red and the others dismounting the roost. Big Red makes his way down the ramp first, then followed by Mr, Rooster, then Betty Barred Rocks 1-8 and then the finale-'two Silver-Duckwing OEGBs fly out..one on each side! One by one walking about in search of some form of chicken Coffee. They take shade by a nearby tree. 20 acres to fordge on. They are officially Free ranging! Very exciting! Like when your teen gets there driving license....oh! No!

Back
Top Bottom