Yet another nervous first-timer

Current tally:
100% success rate on the green eggs! This is actually beyond my expectations, and the fact that those impossible green eggs ALL HATCHED and before any of the blue ones? Miraculous.

Several of the babies are in the brooder box resting. A few are still waiting on their cords or whatever to finish drying up. I don't wanna pull on anything or cause a problem that way, so I'm waiting.

No hatches from any of the blue eggs yet, but four decent sized pips, and one who looks like zipping is about to happen any second. I can see the beak, and hear lots of vigorous chirping.

If these pipped ones all hatch out successfully, that will be a total of eleven out of 13. I certainly don't expect 100% hatch for my first try. The fact I've been blessed with better than 50% is already amazing. So far they all look perfect. No spraddled legs, no curled toes, no scissor beaks. Happy, healthy, chirpy little fuzzballs. I'm trying not to get attached, my friend still has first pick of the two girls she likes best! I told her husband we'd draw up adoption papers.
jumpy.gif
She claims she's a crazy chicken lady and he just puts up with it, but I have my suspicions he likes the fluffy little things too.
clap.gif
Wow!! Congrats! That's great!

More great news! This morning there are 4 more chicks in the incubator, and at least one more egg has pipped. This makes 11 hatched, and #12 working on it. I thought we would be doing well to hatch 5 or 6 of them. This is fantastic, but I can already tell it's going to have an effect on my "chicken math" because I am already scheming for the next hatch.

It is irresistibly addictive, isn't it? We have 275 layers, 70+ turkeys incubating, and my husband asked me why I took three dozen of yesterday's finest to fill a tray. "Don't we have enough chickens?" Well, half will be roosters, the girls will lay green eggs...

These are EE/RIR cross. None of them seem to have the slate colored legs their moms have, but that doesn't mean anything about what color eggs they might lay.

The two eggs left in the incubator have BOTH pipped! I'm gobsmacked. I was so sure I'd end up with some clears, or some quitters. To have all 13 reach hatch day alive is... I'm still in shock.

I know I could still lose some in the next few weeks, it happens. But to have made it this far is really encouraging.

More great news! This morning there are 4 more chicks in the incubator, and at least one more egg has pipped. This makes 11 hatched, and #12 working on it. I thought we would be doing well to hatch 5 or 6 of them. This is fantastic, but I can already tell it's going to have an effect on my "chicken math" because I am already scheming for the next hatch.
I was talking to an old friend last night, she was my best friend growing up through the teen years and early adult years and she said I never imagined you raising chickens. I laughed and said I didn't either. I explained it started as a homeschool project and any chicks were supposed to go back to my sister, but after one hatched, and chicken math started our plans changed. I told her she'd never understand...lol

Here are my 11 new fuzz balls!
Adorable!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom