1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yet another newbie question....

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by mrwoodboat, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Hey guys, sorry for blowing up the board with all the questions but I am still so excited about the pheasants and could sit and watch them all day... I have straw piles in each of the pens and this morning when I went to feed the birds, the Red Golden has walked the straw down like a nest and is sitting in the middle of it- so my question is this, do I need to put some sort of nest box in there for her? Or was she just making a hiding place?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Give her a few different options for nesting.Hang a basket,lean a piece of plywood against the side of the cage,a brush pile,and she will pick the spot she feels comfortable with.If she is too close to the side of the cage where things can bother her,block it off so she can't see out and predators can't reach in and grab her.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    thank Tony- where she is bedded down is in the back which is enclosed on 3 sides 6' x 6' x 6'...I will add some other hiding structures for her tomorrow. It sort of surprised me since it is still winter and rainy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by