1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Yet Another Newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Phoebus, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Yep! Cock-a-doodle-doo!

100.0%
  2. Nope. It's a pullet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hmmm...that doesn't look normal....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Phoebus

Phoebus Chirping

Hi, Everybody! I'm Phoebus and I'm a chicken farmer!

Not really. I've lived in the mountains of WV for many years now and finally I have some pet chickens! Just got a dozen babies from TC and RK. I have four Golden Comets, an Amaraucana, a Wellsummer, which are five weeks old now (4-13-18) and six rowdy little Easter Eggers. two weeks old. All are supposed to be girls but I'm suspicious of one of the little ones. We'll see!

We built a chicken house, 8x4, with three Little Giant plastic nesting boxes and lots of 2x4 roosts. It also has two double-hung windows and a storm door with opening/closing screen, also an 8x8 outside run. This opens to a big fenced yard where I will eventually let them run around. I sure hope nothing eats them! That's my biggest fear!

I can hardly wait for my brown and blue eggs!!!!

My chickens names are Joan, Melanie, Nancy, Cynthia (on the drums), Janice, VDub, Grace, Little Wing, Rain, Mud, Music and........WOODSTOCK! They're hippie chicks. mudmusic2-041318.jpg rain041318.jpg

2. LaurEliz

LaurEliz Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Central Illinois
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

Very cute little chicks you have!

3. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:frow and Welcome. Cute little fuzzballs. Take lots of pics, they grow up fast.

4. Thing2LovesChickens

Thing2LovesChickens Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Role-Playing!
    :frow Hi there! Welcome to the flock! :celebrate Those babies are adorable! :love

5. CiscoChickens

CiscoChickens Chirping

Apr 8, 2018
    Welcome welcome welcome! So thrilled to have you here at BYC! Love all the creativity in your chickies' names— cracks me up in the best way. :)

Not sure if little Rain is a boy, but there's always a chance. Beautiful either way. See you around!

--- CiscoChickens

6. ashlandco

ashlandco Songster

Mar 31, 2017
    Wlecome go BYC! It might be a little to young to tell for sure, but like CiscoChickens said, there is always a chance! Good luck with the new chicks!!!

7. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens sounds like you have a good plan there

8. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :welcome
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.
    I am going to vote boy ONLY because I had one that color that turned out to be a boy, even though he was suppose the be a girl, no other reason.
    This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Official BYC Coop Page Contest - Fall-Winter 2017

Phoebus, Teila and 007Sean like this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When your chicks are about 8 weeks old (and fully feathered out) please post individual pictures of them at "what breed or gender is this,". The folks there should be able to sort them out for you. :welcome

Phoebus, Teila and 007Sean like this.
  10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams 5 Years

G'Day from down under Phoebus :frowWelcome and Congratulations! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

Your babies are adorable! If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of them, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may also be interested in these links:

Phoebus and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: