Yet another person tired of paying supermarket egg prices!

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

:welcome
I sure hope that the price of the eggs is not the main reason to order chickens. That won’t work if you count all the costs.

Most people on BYC see it as a hobby or like to give the chickens a better life than the ones in the egg factories. I hope you will enjoy your chicks to start with.
All prepared? Brooder, grower, warmth plate, waterer…

I think the price of eggs was more the final straw that made me decide! I know there's no way I could ever compete with the price of industrialized chicken farms. But my thinking is that if I have to pay an extraordinary amount of money for eggs, at least I can monitor what goes into the chickens and reduce the amount of animals living horrible lives in egg farms. I have everything in various shopping carts- the feed store I'm getting my chicks from won't even begin deliveries until March at the earliest.

I have ~9 acres of woods for them to explore...I sure hope they like ticks because there's ton of 'em!

Welcome! We just paid $4.79 for a doz lrg. Our 3wk olds better get on the stick:D By the time we get our first egg I figure that egg will have cost about $200, now there's a savings! We've had chickens off and on over the yrs so we knew what we were getting into.

Sure, they might be expensive but the eggs are SO much better it isn't even funny. Thankfully, I already know the barest basics of what I'm getting into. A little hard work never killed anyone....right?

I think the price of eggs was more the final straw that made me decide! I know there's no way I could ever compete with the price of industrialized chicken farms. But my thinking is that if I have to pay an extraordinary amount of money for eggs, at least I can monitor what goes into the chickens and reduce the amount of animals living horrible lives in egg farms. I have everything in various shopping carts- the feed store I'm getting my chicks from won't even begin deliveries until March at the earliest.

I have ~9 acres of woods for them to explore...I sure hope they like ticks because there's ton of 'em!

Sure, they might be expensive but the eggs are SO much better it isn't even funny. Thankfully, I already know the barest basics of what I'm getting into. A little hard work never killed anyone....right?
Welcome Craig!!!

I currently have 15 standard hens and a rooster, with a bunch of chicks brooding and a batch of meat chickens. I just started chickens in spring of last year, and I WISH I had ~9 acres! So here's how I rationalize it - the cost of chicken food for a month for my 16 chickens is about the same price as I would be paying to feed a large breed dog. Then there's the medicine and the occasional vet - the chickens cost about the same as owning a dog. They produce about 6 dozen eggs a week now that they're up to production (I have half production red hens (ISA Brown/golden comet, etc) and half fancy easter eggers (prairie bluebells and starlight green eggers) so I get about 12 eggs a day from my 15 hens). I sell 4-5 dozen eggs a week and have 1-2 dozen to feed my family. The price I get for the eggs just covers the cost of purchasing the chicken food. So my 1-2 dozen a week that we eat are "free".

Labor is not included, time to wash eggs for sale is not included, my customers are repeat customers who I know and trust. They return my cartons, so that's not a large expense, and they pick up off my porch and leave money to prepay for multiple dozen at a time, so I'm spending no time on advertising or going somewhere to sell the eggs.

The cost of the coop (open air covered coop/run combo), feeders/waterers, isolation cages, and other equipment is the cost of my hobby. Most of that stuff is reusable, durable, and has a 10-15 yr usage life, so the longer I own chickens, the lower the yearly cost when spread over the usage life.

Chickens are super fun! Chicken TV is the best. I love to watch the drama. The more time you spend with the chicks while they're small, the easier and tamer they will be around you, and the easier you will find it to be their vet when they have issues.

Enjoy!!!

Welcome! We just paid $4.79 for a doz lrg. Our 3wk olds better get on the stick:D By the time we get our first egg I figure that egg will have cost about $200, now there's a savings! We've had chickens off and on over the yrs so we knew what we were getting into.
Good luck and enjoy the journey, A person may not save much in money but the feeling of self reliant, quality and convenience is worth the extra effort, Goid muck in your new chicks 🐣

Welcome Craig!!!

I currently have 15 standard hens and a rooster, with a bunch of chicks brooding and a batch of meat chickens. I just started chickens in spring of last year, and I WISH I had ~9 acres! So here's how I rationalize it - the cost of chicken food for a month for my 16 chickens is about the same price as I would be paying to feed a large breed dog. Then there's the medicine and the occasional vet - the chickens cost about the same as owning a dog. They produce about 6 dozen eggs a week now that they're up to production (I have half production red hens (ISA Brown/golden comet, etc) and half fancy easter eggers (prairie bluebells and starlight green eggers) so I get about 12 eggs a day from my 15 hens). I sell 4-5 dozen eggs a week and have 1-2 dozen to feed my family. The price I get for the eggs just covers the cost of purchasing the chicken food. So my 1-2 dozen a week that we eat are "free".

Labor is not included, time to wash eggs for sale is not included, my customers are repeat customers who I know and trust. They return my cartons, so that's not a large expense, and they pick up off my porch and leave money to prepay for multiple dozen at a time, so I'm spending no time on advertising or going somewhere to sell the eggs.

The cost of the coop (open air covered coop/run combo), feeders/waterers, isolation cages, and other equipment is the cost of my hobby. Most of that stuff is reusable, durable, and has a 10-15 yr usage life, so the longer I own chickens, the lower the yearly cost when spread over the usage life.

Chickens are super fun! Chicken TV is the best. I love to watch the drama. The more time you spend with the chicks while they're small, the easier and tamer they will be around you, and the easier you will find it to be their vet when they have issues.

Enjoy!!!
A true chicken lover, chicken math at its best💕👋🐔🙏🏻👍

Back
Top Bottom