Yet another predator attack, supersized!

Glad to hear it didnt come back last night, that had to be a huge relief.
but now not to burst your bubble of safety, it will come back.
In speaking with a biologist , bears have a territory averaging about 10 miles when over popualation isnt an issue , they walk every mile in a cirlcle and do come back to their point of origin.
it can take up to a week or as long as a month before he gets back to your chickens.
small comfort I know but its a little anyways.

Quote:
They generally have smaller home ranges then that here in southern New England but at times can wander more,especially breeding season. If I remember correctly females have a home range of roughly 7 square miles and males have larger ranges that generally overlaps several female home ranges.

I'm actually just completing my degree in wildlife biology and the bears in the region have been one of the projects I have been working on. I was just checking some of the stats and MA now has over 3,000 bears..................

Last edited:
Quote:
I've listen to the over population thing for more than 30 years. However as more and more Walmarts are built and people keep trying to outrun suburban malls these confrontations will happen. Here in Syracuse, NY there is one Rite Aid on one corner and the old vacant one right across the street. As long as we the citizens keep letting our politicians, county and town leaders give permits and variances to big corporations, which by the way are funded by our 401k's, people will keep moving further and further into the rural areas in an effort to find peace and quiet. If only we could get big corporations to "restore" the area they decimated back to the woodlands it once was. How many people do you know who when purchasing their home said "I'd like one next to the Great Northern Mall? Finally since I hate people who only point out the problem w/o offering a solution here's what I propose. The next time your city, town, village, county proposes a zone change from rural to residential or corporate speak up collectively and tell them no. Try to establish a trust of some sort to keep woodlands and agricultural areas as they are and not let them become filled w/ Walmarts and Target stores. Force them to reclaim the vacant Rite Aids of the world. I think you get the idea.

Quote:
I've listen to the over population thing for more than 30 years. However as more and more Walmarts are built and people keep trying to outrun suburban malls these confrontations will happen. Here in Syracuse, NY there is one Rite Aid on one corner and the old vacant one right across the street. As long as we the citizens keep letting our politicians, county and town leaders give permits and variances to big corporations, which by the way are funded by our 401k's, people will keep moving further and further into the rural areas in an effort to find peace and quiet. If only we could get big corporations to "restore" the area they decimated back to the woodlands it once was. How many people do you know who when purchasing their home said "I'd like one next to the Great Northern Mall? Finally since I hate people who only point out the problem w/o offering a solution here's what I propose. The next time your city, town, village, county proposes a zone change from rural to residential or corporate speak up collectively and tell them no. Try to establish a trust of some sort to keep woodlands and agricultural areas as they are and not let them become filled w/ Walmarts and Target stores. Force them to reclaim the vacant Rite Aids of the world. I think you get the idea.

Good for you. Thank you for those great examples of what people can do if they want to help stem the tide of habitat loss and consequent human/wildlife interactions of the negative kind. One simple thing is to join or volunteer for a local land preservation nonprofit. Myself, these days I run an environmental nonprofit that educates and advocates for sound planning and for land preservation and have previously worked many years in the legislature, governor's office and state and federal departments focusing largely on same (we've made great progress on some things but there's a long way to go). Hence, my pitch to get involved when development proposals are put forth. We can make a difference and we can stop some of this development. Usually when a community does the math, they will come to find out that they will save a tremendous amount of money by letting the land stay in its natural state. Development almost always raises property taxes, and brings with it the wildlife problems the OP is experiencing, along with countless other expensive troubles such as water contamination and traffic. Presented with the "math", i.e., presented with the facts re: the tax increases that most often will result, nowadays communities sometimes opt not to develop and to preserve the land instead. Will development stop? No. But it can be a lot more sensible and scaled back than it has been if folks demand it. Can't tell you how many planning board and town council meetings I've been to where these decisions are being made and almost no one is in the audience.

Anyway OP, to steer back to your situation now, I really hope Mr. or Ms. Bear will find someplace else to 'play' and that you and your birds stay safe. Be well.
JJ

I cannot even imagine walking into my backyard and seeing a bear. I am pretty sure, I would have wet myself, LOL. I am glad that you are safe. Hopefully she got the message with the paintballs and won't be back.

I really am sorry and concerned about the preditor problems you are having in specific, and those we are all faced with in general. Where I am bears are a definite possibility - I would just about pass out if one did venture into my yard, but only last summer a black bear came into a back yard of a family only 10 or so miles from where I live. The bear was shot as it cornered an elderly woman between her home and her clothes line. Having her cell phone handy in her pocket and a son living next door prevented any attack, and maybe the animal was just curious, but who can tell for sure?
My home is in an area quite a bit more populated than where this bear was, but I keep a watchful awareness filed there in the back of my head. Alligators are also a bit of a possibilty where I am. That's another scary thought.
I hope this problem can be dealt with effectively and safely. I would not hesitiate, though, to shoot a bear repeatedly coming into my yard. That's too awesome an adversary to allow passive coexistence. Good luck and be safe.

I would have to go with a heavy duty chain link 6' then run a hot wire. I would have to totally fence in my home, and my chickens. WOW! How do you sleep? Have you ever seen what they do to automobiles,trash dumpsters.They are strong. I couldn't imagine finding a bear in my yard. Atleast with a fence they have to tear it up first then get to your house. I think I would need to grab the gun, then maybe the camera.
hide.gif

th.gif
omg!! if i seen that bear i wouldnt have went towards it i would have run!! well actually if it was me i wouldnt have left the dorr way with out someelse with me!!
smile.png
kind of a
D.gif
at night. glad everything is ok. hopefully it wont come back but it might. you should shoot it. im sure the chickens would like a bear skin rug in their coop
lol.png
j/k

Faverolle:
Where in MA are you?! I'm in RI and until now I never even knew we have bears in New England. I am terrified of them and thought I was safe, but you're right in MA, that is too close for comfort to me. I'm very rural.
*shivers*

Back
Top Bottom