Yet another prolapse

Thank you for the links! I have reviewed them and there is a place in town that sells things like white oak bark. I have the coconut at the house. Hopefully my mounds of preparation H doesn’t kill her but it’s then only thing I have around. Thanks again for replying. It’s now 4 am and she has pooped a little and hasn’t strained or had another prolapse. She finally ate something and continues to drink lots. Fingers crossed.

:fl

Thank you for your post. She was doing okay and then I ended up getting my IUD embedded in my uterus so I was at the doctor’s for the day. I came home to her prolapsed again and I have been unable to keep the prolapse inside of her. The black “hemorrhoid” thing seems to have drained/absorbed by her body. Now that skin is leathery and a bulge next to her anus(?). She has been straining to poop and i noticed that some poop came out of a small hole in that leathery tissue rather than her anus. I have tried to put everything back inside her but have had little luck. She is eating a little and drinking but today she didn’t drink as much. I have been offering her nutridrench and I’ll sprinkle some tums on her food. I’m worried that the hole means she will be pooping inside herself
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles :hugs

Can you post some updated photos of the prolapse?
Even if it won't go in, try to keep the exposed tissue moist with whatever ointment/cream or oil that you are using.
The hole is concerning for sure. Sometimes a prolapse suffers from damage that can't be repaired.

Sorry about your hen’s prolapse and the problems both you and she have had. Lubricate the vent as you have been doing. Some hens recover from a prolapse, and some do not, no matter what lubricant is used to keep the tissue from drying out. Hopefully, she will recover, but only you can decide the methods to use, and to decide if and when the time comes if she is suffering.

I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow to get euthanatized. I saw her poop out of that leathery bit of tissue multiple times while I was trying to push everything back in after her bath. I tried for an hour but she kept straining and pushed everything back out. I think the damage was too much unfortunately

Attachments

• 8A603FF4-DB41-4212-860B-2F43667BBBBB.jpeg
    8A603FF4-DB41-4212-860B-2F43667BBBBB.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 15
  • D82C7637-9323-4F4B-AA8F-B2E3A8ABAFE2.jpeg
    D82C7637-9323-4F4B-AA8F-B2E3A8ABAFE2.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 14
  • E6E2FC18-8DE2-49E6-B099-0BF1410DFD67.jpeg
    E6E2FC18-8DE2-49E6-B099-0BF1410DFD67.jpeg
    496.7 KB · Views: 15
Hmm. When Dr. James Herriott had to deal with a prolapsed uterus in a cow, he washed it good, then sprinkled it liberally with table sugar before stuffing it all back in. As I recall, the sugar caused the uterus to shrink so it stayed in place. As it was a cow, he also stood the animal's back feet on blocks so the uterus had less chance of slipping out the back. There may heve been a stitch involved as well.

I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow to get euthanatized. I saw her poop out of that leathery bit of tissue multiple times while I was trying to push everything back in after her bath. I tried for an hour but she kept straining and pushed everything back out. I think the damage was too much unfortunately
Did you happen to get a photo or a good look at the leathery bit of tissue? I wonder if it was an shell membrane or something similar to Salpingitis (lash material).

I'm so sorry that she's not improving. Sometimes the cause of a prolapse can make it hard to heal or it just won't go back in.

So a quick update - Took Pickle to the doctor and they we’re giving her a butt bath when she laid a soft shell egg to the surprise of everyone. Vet says she was healthy as far as her weight etc. The concern that I had she laid to rest - she did not tear herself open. One is her ovaduct exit and she’s pooping out of the right hole. They poured some sugar on her vent area and sent me home with some anti-inflammatory meds. She’s due back in the vet in a week. In the meantime, pretty much the same treatment I was giving her; warm baths, lots of protein treats, water with nutridrench and the medicine once a day. Pickle still is pushing every so often. Vet thinks because the swollen tissue inside or the possibility of another egg. Pickle will get a nice warm bath tonight and then another one tomorrow morning. The vet visit was $135.

So a quick update - Took Pickle to the doctor and they we’re giving her a butt bath when she laid a soft shell egg to the surprise of everyone. Vet says she was healthy as far as her weight etc. The concern that I had she laid to rest - she did not tear herself open. One is her ovaduct exit and she’s pooping out of the right hole. They poured some sugar on her vent area and sent me home with some anti-inflammatory meds. She’s due back in the vet in a week. In the meantime, pretty much the same treatment I was giving her; warm baths, lots of protein treats, water with nutridrench and the medicine once a day. Pickle still is pushing every so often. Vet thinks because the swollen tissue inside or the possibility of another egg. Pickle will get a nice warm bath tonight and then another one tomorrow morning. The vet visit was $135.
Glad you were able to see the vet.
A soft shell egg can be hard to pass even if not prolapsed, so she did good. Often there is a cause for a prolapse not to stay in, sounds one reason may have been that egg she was trying to expel.
Tissue will not stay in until swelling has gone down, hopefully she will recover soon.

So we’re on day 6. Posting this for anyone who many need it in the future.

She’s been on Meloxidyl 1.5 ml since Friday, so 4 days now. Her water has probiotic, electrolytes, and nutridrench. I’ve been feeding her scrambled eggs once a day with her meloxidyl and sprinkling tums. Otherwise, she has some of
Her regular pellet feed.

She had this leathery bit off tissue that has slowly dried white on her vent. This was one of
The main things preventing the prolapsed from going inside. Vet said it was the damaged internal intestinal tissue.

She has been getting two, 20 min Epsom salts baths a day. Deep enough to cover her vent. She hasn’t been able to control her pooping so it just leaks out and gets all over her feathers.

During tonight’s bath, that bit of leathery scar tissue fell off. It was super gross but somewhat relieving. It was like wet popcorn. Underneath was healthy new tissue. For the first time, you can actually see the egg exit and the poop exit! The swelling continues to go down. She’s currently in her old brooder which is one of those metal troughs to limit her movement. I’m also keeping her in low light conditions and she hasn’t laid an egg since the vet visit on Friday.

While I don’t feel like we’re out of the woods, we’ve come a long way since this first happened. While she is still prolapsed, I’m keeping it moist with preparation H and antibiotic cream (with no pain reliever). She has a great appetite and drinks on her own. She was very talkative today too.

Pics are from yesterday with the white scab still on there and some of today right after the bath where the scab fell off. I did not try and push the prolapse back inside since it’s still swollen. I may try that tomorrow but for today, it was enough excitement for everyone.

Pickle also has a follow up vet appointment on Friday. I’ll update the thread in the hopes that this info will help future chicken parents.

Attachments

• 362C1ADE-8AF1-402D-9AB0-157C4D1C31AC.jpeg
    362C1ADE-8AF1-402D-9AB0-157C4D1C31AC.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 10
  • B3430768-BC47-4558-9F95-73326F296CD4.jpeg
    B3430768-BC47-4558-9F95-73326F296CD4.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 1C4366F5-B5C8-4DEF-BCAC-1E4EEC538D8C.jpeg
    1C4366F5-B5C8-4DEF-BCAC-1E4EEC538D8C.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom