Yet Another PVC feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by spiffwilkie, Jun 13, 2011.

1. spiffwilkie

spiffwilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I saw a similar feeder here (can't find the thread right now) and decided to build one. I purchased 3" PVC (about $10 for 10') and two 45 degree bends as well as a cap. My coop is elevated with an enclosed run under it (great for short vacations so I don't have to have a chicken-sitter come and let the girls in and out). I mounted a corner litter pan under the coop (from PetSmart. It's for rabbits, guinea pigs, etc.) and just ran the PVC down into it. The PVC sits about 1/4" above the bottom of the pan. I could have run a straight pipe down, but the coop prevents that. I used the 45 degree bends to prevent the feed from getting blocked. I have seen the feeders where people put a sort of U bend on the bottom, but I didn't want to do that do to the possibility of water build-up. Having the feed drop out the bottom allows me to make sure they're always getting fresh food.
  2. SumDumGuy

SumDumGuy Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Nice.... thanks for the idea!!! [​IMG]
  3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011

what is the container at the bottom that the feed is going into please?
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Spiff said it's a corner litter pan (from PetSmart. It's for rabbits, guinea pigs, etc.).
  5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Great Job!! [​IMG]
  6. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    So sorry, must have skipped that sentence. [​IMG] Nice feeder. I think it's just what I've been looking for.
  7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    Great job! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by