YIKES!!!! Comb is purple-ish

momto2

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Northern Maine
I have three meat birds hens that my daughter wanted to keep as pets. They are about 21 weeks old. Two of them have red combs but the third's comb is purple-ish. Is this a bad sign?? I know these birds are not supposed to live, but we thought we'd give it a try.

Is her comb purple all the time, or just when she's at rest on her keel? In other words, when she gets up and moves around, does it return to red? Even if it doesn't, she probably has congestive heart failure. But if it returns to red when she gets up, she's not as advanced in the heart failure. She probably won't last much longer, I'd suggest culling her now, both so you at least get the meat, and to end her suffering. CHF doesn't feel good, for man, bird, or beast. Is her breathing starting to sound wheezy or bubbly?

If you cull her, and dress her out, (the meat's fine, it's not an infectious disease) you'll see a lot of internal fat that was pressing on heart and lungs, and an enlarged heart.

How old is your daughter? Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. If she understands that the hen is ill, and probably in pain, having trouble breathing, she may not take the culling too hard. I wouldn't make her participate, though I'd allow it, if she feels she wants to take part in humanely ending her hen's suffering.

My mom had CHF. She once told me (about 6 months before she passed on) that she just felt crappy all the time, had no energy, everything hurt, and nothing was fun anymore. She said just wished she'd die and get it over with. I didn't want to haer that at the time, but no that I'm a lot older, I understand better how she felt.

Anyway, though she can't say so, that hen's probably not having a great time anymore.

I agree dancingbear thanks for the support. My daughter will be 10 in 4 months so she'll understand. She'll still have 24 chickens, one black lab, and five cats to enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Well, best of luck to you. I sure don't envy you that sad task, breaking it to your daughter.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom