Yikes!!! My peacock is losing his tail feathers!!!

I can not remember how long this guy had his train.

I called Craig Hopkins last night & the 1st thing he asked was if I kept a heat lamp on them during winter.
I did not. He said to worm him and the others as well...shouldn't hurt anything.

He also mentioned that loosing feathers @ this time of the year shouldn't hurt fertility.

He doesnt need the train to mate, might not be as handsome but, if he's the only rooster, no issue it will be a good year.
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

I am kind coming in on this very late.But can you tell me why a heat lamp on last winter has my IB peacock losing all his feathers in May Will he start to get new ones and then molt again the fall or will he all out of whack for a while.

I'm in Michigan and have yet to see an egg from any of my 6 hens. Both my free range 2 yr old and my 4 yr old penned cocks are 1/2 way through their molt. Its been a weird year weather wise so that may be it.

A heat lamp or light can really get them out of whack, but it will correct itself next year, at least it always has for mine. I had one molt in march one year.

Back
Top Bottom