YIPPEEE!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by firedove, Apr 28, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    What started out looking like a really bad day turned out much better. I brought home 2 1-week-old SLW chicks on Sunday. Monday morning one was lethargic and when I got it to drink some water it laid it's head down sideways on my hand like it was going to die right then and there. [​IMG] It remained weak all day but I gave it honey every 2 hours and made it drink at least once an hour. I still wasn't optimistic of it's chances so I asked DH to pick up 2 chicks at the feed store so the one that would be left after the weak one died would have company. So around 5pm DH went to the feed store and picked up chicks. He had to get 6 since it's the minimum the store would sell. So he brought home 6 Speckled Sussex chicks. So now I was feeling a bit better, at least I would have 7 chickies to love despite that I was losing one. I kept on with the honey and water though for the little weak one. Never would have guessed but at around 10:45pm I go over to the brooder and the weak one is standing, on it's own, and chowing down at the food dish. *knock on wood* I think the little one is going to make it! [​IMG] So now I go from 2 chicks to 8 chicks! Without even meaning to! YAY! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] <-- me and my 8 new chickies!

2. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I am so happy for you! [​IMG]

I do have to wonder if thats the first syptom of addiction [​IMG]

3. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    [​IMG] I'm way past symptom 1. I have 10 chickens and a turkey down at my barn/coop. I raised 30 chicks for the last 9 weeks, just sold off all but 15 of them. My friend hatched the SLWs for me and gave them to me to take home Sunday. Not to mention I have 18 eggs settin in my brand new bator for a May 8 hatch. I'll definitely admit it now, I'm addicted! [​IMG]

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    wow~

so many little chickies!

good luck- glad the sick one made it.

5. bradandcas

bradandcas Out Of The Brooder

glad the sick one is back kicking arse at the food trough!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by