YO GEORGIANS! :)

Pics

SeramaSweetie

Songster
11 Years
Nov 28, 2008
Thomaston, Georgia
Anybody on BYC live in Georgia?
I'm gonna make a list of Georgians below! Let's get the LONGEST list possible! Each name counts one point, and mods or staff are worth 5 points!

Georgians' names collected so far:
1. SeramaSweetie
2. Pumpkinpup
3. porteryork
4. rooster-red
5. jonbanks
6. Chix-in-GA
7. mazdacrzy
8. Missouri chick
9. bantyman
10. 1acrefarm
11. EggCentric
12. poohevans
13. mattmatt's-momma
14. newnanchic
15. soonerdog
16. bargain
17. asa
18. key west chick
19. rays123
20. Granolamom
21. Lupa
22. PunkërTeçhñöRøø§ter
23. AnnMarie12
24. GaDawg
25. 2chickenrich
26. embkm
27. Los Pollitos
29. katrek
30. oegblady
31. spotnapp
32. teresac
33. Lmarie
34. speckledhen (MOD= 5 pts!)
35. dawg53
36. featherfooted
37. Hellvagirl

POINTS COLLECTED:
41. Wow!
ya.gif
So Many!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
So you all know we are getting goats. Between all the rain and the friend who said he would come over to help not showing up, we are still way far from finished with the goat house and fencing. But here is a sneak peek.
IMG_6496.JPG

Added the steps and deck today. Will be putting more dirt at the bottom of the stairs. Off the right of the deck, I would like to build them a swing bridge that will cross over the small gully to the right of their house.
IMG_6497.JPG

Started with the tree house we had built for the grandkids. They never played in it because "it didn't have a plug for their Nintendo!" Closed in the bottom part for the goats to house in. The upper part will be for them to climb up in. The bottom part will have several 'beds' and a birthing stall across the back. The front door will mostly stay open so the goats can go in and out during the day, but they will be closed up at night. The metal stuff coming out between the top and the bottom is temporary. We will be making a porch roof.

Friday evening, I had an unpleasant encounter with one of my neighbors. In the past, I've had issues with their dog coming onto my property. Twice, I've visited with them and they've assured me that they'd keep her on a leash. I was home Friday afternoon, all my windows open when I heard all the hens go crazy. I ran outside there were feathers everywhere. It looked like the molt happened in the yard. I grabbed a Zebra Super Shot that I use to keep squirrels off the Topsy Turvy tomato plants and bird feeders. I got a couple hits on him. It fires yellow pellet/balls, they bounce off, don't penetrate. The dog runs away home.

Gathered the flock and got them back into the coop and run, locked it up. No hens missing, but a ton of feathers ruffled. I was about to go back in the house when the county animal control officer pulls up in front of my house and two county sheriff's patrol officers park behind him.

Apparently, she's called Animal Control on me saying that my chickens are roaming unrestrained. They were, I free range them when I can but they don't ever leave the property. They get my statement, look at the toy gun, it's orange, clearly a toy. Now, the dog owner is there. She's talking to the one deputy while the other is talking to me. Then we all gather together where the one officer explains that my chickens are not violating any laws but her dog is. Apparently my county has a leash law for dogs but not chickens. The animal control officer said something that I think is worth repeating... He said, "In your yard that is a family pet, in his yard that is a predator."

This evening her husband came by, apologized and told me he is installing a chain link fence up close to the house.

Much thanks to all of you YO GEORGIANS for a very enjoyable outing yesterday. Great company, great food (and lots of it) and a good time visiting and learning from others was the order of the day.

The food was awesome. The boudin was as good as any I had during the 2 years we lived in Baton Rouge, the delicious potato salad and super-rich pound cake reminded me of recipes my mother used to make, and the pulled pork was perfect. But those weren't the only things that I could not resist having second servings. All of the food was so tasty that I couldn't stay away from the spread in the kitchen and now will have to spend this week trying to work it off!

Tabasco Jack, you are a real champ for hosting last minute, especially while trying to keep your farm show-ready for prospective purchasers. I hope you get a buyer soon. Thank you Flowerbh for inviting me and for driving. Livhatcher, I'm glad there was one apparent mix-up in the order because my wife was surprised and delighted with the t-shirt I bought for her.

Porch1.png

Porch2.png

Eggswap.png

For anyone who participated in the swap and got eggs marked JG, I'll try to share info if you are interested and would like to know how the hatch turns out.

YO GEORGIANS are all really good eggs!

My girls seem to be off and on for about a week before getting serious. Now pretty much no one is laying eggs. I get one every few days from my two cream legbars and nothing from my silkie and the showgirl is raising chicks. Maybe it's the heat? Can't wait until the other girls get older and start laying.
My Orpington girls are still laying strong, but they eat so much that I would be disappointed if they didn't give me close to an egg a day per girl. However, the FBCM aren't doing much.

Special thanks to @livhatcher and @Tabasco Jack! I smoked the jalapeño-cheese venison sausage that Olivia gave me (low and slow) on apple wood, and it was AWESOME! Not gamy at all! Thanks, Liv! I also stuffed the quail Jack gave me with a Cajun stuffing, then wrapped them in bacon, and smoked them low and slow for a couple of hours. They came out perfect! I love my BYC friends! :love Lisa and Christopher raved over the food! :clap Here's a photo of the final products:
upload_2017-7-11_22-25-26.png

Back
Top Bottom