YO GEORGIANS! :)

Quote:
That is why there is a section in the law that gives the local govts power to give restrictions. They can control how it looks and nuisance issues. They cannot say you cannot have them at all.

I sorta agree and disagree with the part that there should be a reasonable cap on number of animals allowed, because then it becomes a slippery slope. They'll start getting into size / design of coop, and all that, it becomes even more ridiculous.

I know that with the new proposed Dekalb County Ordinance, they require something like 2~4sqft per chicken in the coop, and also similar requirements for the run and etc.

I find that stupid and ignorant. People have different ways of raising animals. Some people keep their chicken in coops all day so they need a bigger coop, other let them free range around, my point is everbody's necessity for coops are different. Its just like dogs, some like to walk their dog, others let them roam in the yard all day.

I dont see them writing up Ordinances for sizes on dog houses or cat condos, or bird cages, why should chickens / poultry be discriminated against?
I bet if they look at all the large commercial egg farms and chicken farms they'd probably be in violation.

I'd say remove this type of discriminatory restriction and use the animal welfare ordinance instead. After all, they are still animals, no reason to isolate "livestock" as a separate subset.
Being able to keep Ostrich, emus and other birds but not one chicken or duck is ridiculous enough already.

And from my own experience, these laws should be clear cut and no gray area, or else those cop wanna-be code enforcement guys will march all over you.

I agree with you that "they" should allow us to keep animals as we see fit. The flip side to this is:
Not all people take care of their animals. The 2 sqft/ 4 sqft rule is to prevent people from creating an inhumane environment for their birds.

1) Some breeders never let their animals out of a cage. This at least allows some room for the chickens to move. I personally do not want 100 chickens in my next door neighbor's 1/8 acre back yard.

2) Many "citified" people think farm animals are dirty, smelly, and a general nuisance. Most have no clue as to what animals are really like. Though it is true that some farm animal owners do neglect their animals, most do not. That being said, we could say the same about dog and cat owners. It is all about perspective. "Citified" folk just don't understand and many don't want to. Me, I'm a "countrified" city boy.

3) I keep a printed copy of the ordinances with phone numbers on my fridge in case there are questions or problems.

4) Chickens are consedered "fowl" and are categorized with ducks, geese, turkeys, doves and pigeons. Ostriches and emus are considered livestock and follow acreage rules ( at least here)

I personally am trying to be self sufficient and want as few rules as possible.

Last edited:
Quote:
I sorta agree and disagree with the part that there should be a reasonable cap on number of animals allowed, because then it becomes a slippery slope. They'll start getting into size / design of coop, and all that, it becomes even more ridiculous.

I know that with the new proposed Dekalb County Ordinance, they require something like 2~4sqft per chicken in the coop, and also similar requirements for the run and etc.

I find that stupid and ignorant. People have different ways of raising animals. Some people keep their chicken in coops all day so they need a bigger coop, other let them free range around, my point is everbody's necessity for coops are different. Its just like dogs, some like to walk their dog, others let them roam in the yard all day.

I dont see them writing up Ordinances for sizes on dog houses or cat condos, or bird cages, why should chickens / poultry be discriminated against?
I bet if they look at all the large commercial egg farms and chicken farms they'd probably be in violation.

I'd say remove this type of discriminatory restriction and use the animal welfare ordinance instead. After all, they are still animals, no reason to isolate "livestock" as a separate subset.
Being able to keep Ostrich, emus and other birds but not one chicken or duck is ridiculous enough already.

And from my own experience, these laws should be clear cut and no gray area, or else those cop wanna-be code enforcement guys will march all over you.

I agree with you that "they" should allow us to keep animals as we see fit. The flip side to this is:
Not all people take care of their animals. The 2 sqft/ 4 sqft rule is to prevent people from creating an inhumane environment for their birds.

1) Some breeders never let their animals out of a cage. This at least allows some room for the chickens to move. I personally do not want 100 chickens in my next door neighbor's 1/8 acre back yard.

2) Many "citified" people think farm animals are dirty, smelly, and a general nuisance. Most have no clue as to what animals are really like. Though it is true that some farm animal owners do neglect their animals, most do not. That being said, we could say the same about dog and cat owners. It is all about perspective. "Citified" folk just don't understand and many don't want to. Me, I'm a "countrified" city boy.

3) I keep a printed copy of the ordinances with phone numbers on my fridge in case there are questions or problems.

4) Chickens are consedered "fowl" and are categorized with ducks, geese, turkeys, doves and pigeons. Ostriches and emus are considered livestock and follow acreage rules ( at least here)

I personally am trying to be self sufficient and want as few rules as possible.

I'm pretty sure the animal welfare ordinance would take care of most "inhumane" situations you mentioned above, hence I don't see the need to add more ordinances. Afterall, fowls are still animals and should be treated as such. And if there are 100 chickens in your neighbor's 1/8 yard, I'm pretty sure there are probably a few ordinances up municipality's sleeve to take care of the issue without adding new laws.

I just think that when you start to get into details about HOW things should be done, you restrict people's way of doing things, usually in a not so good way. Everybody has a different lifestyle / way of doing things within reason. I'm building a coop that probably won't satisfy the size requirement. But I'm putting the coop in a aread that has a "protected run" with bushes. Hence, I don't see the need to build a bigger coop. And I let them free range too. I'm sure there are more people that have small coop but let the chicken free range. And all those mini coops you see on the site, probably won't satisfy the requirement as well.
Plus I think the law is pretty hypocritic as it doesn't restrict the commercial operations, which I KNOW will be in violation of those restrictions as well. So why should individuals be restricted when there are farms out there that would be in violation?

People dont' really need more laws, sometimes its the matter of enforcing it.

In certain counties, there are no categories for Ostriches and emus. Its status can still be argued, because they are usually wild animals, hence can be argued as pets as well if you stay within reason.

The problem I see with your reasoning, hopefully I'm not offending you, is that you inadvertantly admit chickens and all the other fowl are a subset of something other than regular pets / animals people keep, hence requiring more restrictions and requirements.

The fight is already hard enough to have these fowls seen equally like all the other animals people keep in their house. This arguement is just counterproductive to that effort.

Like I said, most code enforcement are clueless at what they're looking at. Some of them even have trouble understanding the ordinance they are suppose to enforce.

Lets just get HB2 passed right now!!! We need to push it so that our rights are protected!!!

Last edited:
I most wholeheartedly agree with you. I was meerly pionting out some of the "citified" points of view. I consider my chickens as pets that eran their keep. There are those people out there that do not see anything other than dogs and cats as pets.

I urge everyone to call their congressman/woman and tell them to pass HB2 and HB 12. Here is the way to contact them:

It is vitally important that you contact your congressman about HB 2 and HB 12. These directly involve us, as farm animal owners. You can get the contact info on the following site: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/officials/congress/

Congress.org
- Elected Officials

www.congress.org

Quote:
Thats it!!! I dont know why Im thinking Commerce! Same area I suppose!

Do you know where I can find more information? Thanks.

I would like some info, too. If it is a big show it would be worth the 2 hour drive.

Quote:
Welcome.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom