YO GEORGIANS! :)

Cream legbar with cream legbar make blue eggs....but if you get a roo cream legbar mixed with hen that lays brown eggs thats when olive egg comes to play. These are blue eggs I just got 2 from her myself just to try.

I am so disappointed! Of the 59 hatching eggs I had in my bator, I am down to maybe 19 (plus the 4 that are looking ok under broodies)! None of the 8 duck eggs developed, and 19 of the chicken eggs showed no development and 8 were early deaths (with blood rings)! There are maybe another 4 or 5 iffy eggs I left in there! I can't decide whether or not to contact the guy I got the eggs from. Would he do anything? I know they came thru the mail, but doesn't "no development at all" mean they were not fertile? Or could it be they just were shaken up too bad to even develop?

I am so disappointed!  Of the 59 hatching eggs I had in my bator,  I am down to maybe 19 (plus the 4 that are looking ok under broodies)!  None of the 8 duck eggs developed, and 19 of the chicken eggs showed no development and 8 were early deaths (with blood rings)!  There are maybe another 4 or 5 iffy eggs I left in there!  I can't decide whether or not to contact the guy I got the eggs from.  Would he do anything?  I know they came thru the mail, but doesn't "no development at all" mean they were not fertile?  Or could it be they just were shaken up too bad to even develop?  

Was the guy liscence to sell fertile eggs?

Btw I was just relating what my mom said. I dont know how it works I guess she was to thar it wasthe same I you mix an amerucana (blue eggs)with another chicken you get EE
so , in that sense ......but I dont know. I just know usually cream legbar is expensive and she is new to it..so now its cheap

So I was having an issue getting my girls to lay in the box configuration I had. I then reconfigured everything and they still wouldn't lay in them. Then put up curtains and changed the lighting so the boxes were the darkest spot in the coop. Well they started laying in the box, but they refused to use 2 of the boxes and would only lay in 1. Well today somebody changed their mind and I got an egg in another box. I was getting kinda nervous because 7 hens laying in a single box is eventually gonna cause some traffic issues. This could all be a result of me not letting them free-range as my neighbors fence is getting put up and I didn't want a curios chicken to jump over to check it out.

On another note I finally spoke to the neighbors on the other side who have been complaining to others about my roosters. They made a comment about me killing off the remaining two roos when I mentioned I had already processed two. I told them I was planning on hatching some eggs and they let it go. I did get warned that if they should decide to jump the fence that his dog will probably kill them as he has trained it to retrieve birds. I told him that was somewhat understandable, but hopefully we don't have to worry about that. I might just throw my EE roo over the fence when he gets his spurs to see how brave his dog is. The EE will prolly just mount his dog, do his business, and fly back over. The guy has never taken his dog bird hunting so I'm not sure why he has trained it to do anything.

Sounds like the neighbor is blowing smoke out his bottom because he doesn't like your roosters. I doubt he trained his dog to retrieve birds if he hasn't even gone hunting with it. On the other hand my tiny yappy dogs would certainly kill any chicken they could get to. Not because they are trained to, but because we have failed to train them NOT to! Good luck with those neighbors!

Sharing my facebook post for this morning with y'all.

It was a rough weekend and Monday isn't looking much better. I'm tired of dogs coming into my yard, chickens yes that is fine after all they eat bugs which I don't like. I love dogs, don't get me wrong but when they come into your yard and turn it into a potty place like on your wheels and Porch, yes porch that is where I draw the line. Not counting trying to get to your dog and chickens. Last night Chris was outside and came in saying that "The Dog" had gotten another neighbor's free ranging chickens that was in our yard. Now the chicken neighbor knows it's ok for his chickens to come into our yard but the big momma dog that got loose because she is hungry from nursing puppies isn't allowed and the owner of said dog knows it's not allowed. Nor is the little yapper that runs over and potties constantly. This morning while I was out letting our chickens into their run I saw the yapper chase a little free ranging chicken then the big momma dog chased it. This made me ill, I ran screaming and waving my arms until the dog ran off and the little chicken flew into one of our big plum trees. The dog neighbor then stuck his head out the door to get the yapper back inside and I screamed at him that his big momma dog was out again and chasing chickens and had been in our yard. He then went and put big momma dog back up. For how long who knows.
So...we are in need of pallets to make a solid border fence to keep yappers and big momma dogs and any other dogs out! Free pallets would be awesome seeing as we have put a lot of money into coops and chickens lately. Please let me know if you know of any free pallets near by. Thank you and I hope your Monday is AWESOME!

Oh my word! I am so sorry to hear about the dog issue there! That is not ok! I understand dogs getting out sometimes but it sounds like it is not a rare thing there? We take great care to keep our yappy dogs from getting out of the yard and try not to let them annoy the neighbors!

As for pallets, we had to purchase a few ($3 each) as we need to make some temp shelter for chickens. It is so hard to get pallets around here!

I am so disappointed! Of the 59 hatching eggs I had in my bator, I am down to maybe 19 (plus the 4 that are looking ok under broodies)! None of the 8 duck eggs developed, and 19 of the chicken eggs showed no development and 8 were early deaths (with blood rings)! There are maybe another 4 or 5 iffy eggs I left in there! I can't decide whether or not to contact the guy I got the eggs from. Would he do anything? I know they came thru the mail, but doesn't "no development at all" mean they were not fertile? Or could it be they just were shaken up too bad to even develop?

I am having that same issue! I had gotten a dozen eggs from someone that got shipped and they are super dark eggs an hard to see into. I have pulled 6 of them so far and cracked them open just to make sure I was not pulling good eggs and so far all have been scrambled, no sigh of fertility but I am not sure here would be any sign with scrambled ones. They had wicked detached air-cells. So far out of those 12 eggs only 1 can I see development in.

On the other hand, all the "sizzle" eggs that where shipped to me had great air cells and I have only found 2 clears and 1 early quiter. Both sets of eggs where equally well wrapped and shipped from different states. While neither box showed damage, I really think that USPS shook the box with the dark eggs because it said FRAGILE all over it and the other one didn't.

Another thing to consider that I have read is that smaller eggs for some reason do better during shipping!

Back
Top Bottom