YO GEORGIANS! :)

I put my dogs up cause I wasn't sure how they would act. Then I let my hens out to range after the storms today. And one of my dogs about 8 months old broke out and killed one of my Domqu the other one and my 3 BA's were ok. Only because I caught the dog before it could keep going. The 2 Domqu were old and haven't layed in about 2 yrs. but my boys loved them. Their pawpaw gave them to us yrs ago. In fact they were first chickens we had.
gosh I'm so sorry about the lost of your chickens I can relate when it the torment of your own dogs doing such a thing my pom pom barked and growled at y neighbor chickens so I started training her to respect them before I got chicks bit of was a long hard process and it took 6months before I could vet her to understand what made her understand was me feeding their chickens for a short time and she got use to fowl again I am sorry for your lost of your fowl

So I found 3 leftover bags of mulch, hiding in the weeds by the giant cactus.
I went ahead and spread them near the waterer in the new pen, trying to keep the muck out of the water at least.

After knocking the pile down, then letting the chickens spread it a bit (and find all the bugs in it from sitting by the cactus for over a year) I realized that it would take oh, about 200 bags to cover the pen to a decent depth.
What is that in pickup loads?

We are hopefully going to pick up truckload #1 tomorrow, so I can at least have a muck free path thru the pen.

Really REALLY hating the rain, and the fact that more is expected Monday.

Did I mention the fact that I need to help reset 250' or so of fence from our flooded creek?
My horse and donkeys are in the small field, and the sheep and goat are in the back yard of the mobile home next door.

I'll make a multi part suggestion on the mulch. First off, if you need that much and you have to buy it, you're much better off buying by the scoop. Most places will tell you what size scoop they sell, probably around a cubic yard. Google it and you will find a formula to figure how much you need to go how ever many inches deep you need in a given area. better yet, here ya go:

https://www.landscapecalculator.com/calculators/mulch

the best thing to do would be to find a tree company that will bring you a load of wood chips. We have one here that will let you get all you want for free, and if you get there before 8 am, they will have someone load it for you with their bobcat. when I was working my garden I hauled five 6x12 trailer loads in and it didn't cost me anything but the gas to drive over there and the time to unload. I also got a load and put in my run.

too bad you're so far away, hard to beat FREE

oh, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we have a 20% chance monday, but it's back to 100% chance on wed again. Probably not a lot of difference in us and you

Last edited:
gosh I'm so sorry about the lost of your chickens I can relate when it the torment of your own dogs doing such a thing my pom pom barked and growled at y neighbor chickens so I started training her to respect them before I got chicks bit of was a long hard process and it took 6months before I could vet her to understand what made her understand was me feeding their chickens for a short time and she got use to fowl again I am sorry for your lost of your fowl

The bad thing is the dog has been tied out side of the chicken pen her whole life. I mean she was against the pen and would watch out for coons and other predators. And could go half way around the pen and my other dog could watch the other side. I guess I got along ways to go!

The bad thing is the dog has been tied out side of the chicken pen her whole life. I mean she was against the pen and would watch out for coons and other predators. And could go half way around the pen and my other dog could watch the other side. I guess I got along ways to go!
gosh that is a bad incident sounds like they maybe a little jealousy issue going on -like they can roam and can't kind of thing just my opinion I'm not claiming to be an expert trainer or anything like that I wish you a lot of luck with that issue

lots of lake front property out there better buy now before it's gone
gig.gif

I have a river runs through it!!

I'll make a multi part suggestion on the mulch. First off, if you need that much and you have to buy it, you're much better off buying by the scoop. Most places will tell you what size scoop they sell, probably around a cubic yard. Google it and you will find a formula to figure how much you need to go how ever many inches deep you need in a given area. better yet, here ya go:

https://www.landscapecalculator.com/calculators/mulch

the best thing to do would be to find a tree company that will bring you a load of wood chips. We have one here that will let you get all you want for free, and if you get there before 8 am, they will have someone load it for you with their bobcat. when I was working my garden I hauled five 6x12 trailer loads in and it didn't cost me anything but the gas to drive over there and the time to unload. I also got a load and put in my run.

too bad you're so far away, hard to beat FREE

oh, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we have a 20% chance monday, but it's back to 100% chance on wed again. Probably not a lot of difference in us and you

Oh, we are getting it free from a county site, but we have to load and unload by hand.

Okay everyone.. Christmas is done, time to look ahead. So let's jump-start our planning. EIGHT WEEKS til the show in Newnan. Who's going this year!
big_smile.png
Are you going just to look or to show? I LOVED it last year even in the crummy, rainy weather. Here's hoping it'll be pretty this year.
smile.png
Sounds interesting...is there an admission charge if you don't exhibit and just want to look..?

Back
Top Bottom