YO GEORGIANS! :)

Shed Conversion Project

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, one of the projects I started is to convert a 10' x 12' storage shed into a new coop for all my single girls. We've had an explosion of chickens over here, so I needed to put a couple of projects aside and make retrofitting the new coop a top priority. Here's couple of photos of the shed once I cleaned it out a couple of weeks ago:

upload_2017-5-27_21-2-12.png

upload_2017-5-27_21-3-20.png

I started the project by removing the large swing door, re-framing the entryway, and modifying a screen door that will be used as the new front door. The coop will be enclosed in a large run area, so door security regarding predators isn't a concern.

We decided to line the floor of the coop with a sheet of vinyl flooring, and I was fortunate to find a roll on OfferUp for $35, and it fit the floor perfectly. After using furring strips around the perimeter of the floor to secure the flooring, the only edge of the flooring that I had to cut was the edge meeting the front door. I ended up removing the framing, and cut the flooring so that a flap went across the doorway and could be tucked in between the ramp and the doorway. Here's a photo of what it looks like so far:

upload_2017-5-27_21-18-2.png

Before I re-frame the doorway, I've decided that I want to go with a double rack of vintage metal nesting boxes on the right side - six on top, six below, for a total of 12 boxes. I don't want to take the framing down again, so just in case I need the extra room, I'm going to wait until the nesting boxes are in place before I re-frame.

On the left side I plan to go with two long poop boards as roosts. I'll post more updates as the project progresses.

I've been MIA for a while but me and my assorted peeps are still cluckin around. New issue this spring, wondering if anyone has an out. Last spring I picked up 3 Indian Runner ducklings with assorted chicks, all was well and happy until this year. Turns out all 3 ducks are Drakes and they are...for the lack of duck girlfriends...trying to mate with my hens. Darwin would be very upset as am I. They have run off never to be seen again one of my silver laced Wyandotts and are so aggressively trying to mate with my hens that I've had to confine them to their pen. It's sad, but necessary to protect the flock. If you've stuck in with me this far...thanks and I'm getting to my point. Does any one want 3 drake runner ducks 1yr old or does anyone have female ducklings I can grow up and in eventually with the guys?
Hey, welcome back.
I think @Flowerbh has runners also. I'll let her chime in with the details.

They have run off never to be seen again one of my silver laced Wyandotts and are so aggressively trying to mate with my hens that I've had to confine them to their pen.

Make sure you keep the ducks penned up, because your Wyandott might be dead somewhere. The ducks will kill the chickens trying to mate with them because of the size and shape of their male appendage.

Make sure you keep the ducks penned up, because your Wyandott might be dead somewhere. The ducks will kill the chickens trying to mate with them because of the size and shape of their male appendage.
Yup its alarming at how sweet they can be one minute and then attacking their fence trying to get at a passing hen. I can't let them out at all because I've seen how aggressive they are with my gals. If I can't come up with an alternative I'm afraid I'll have to send them on a permanent vacation. I've been putting the word out everywhere I go.

I've been MIA for a while but me and my assorted peeps are still cluckin around. New issue this spring, wondering if anyone has an out. Last spring I picked up 3 Indian Runner ducklings with assorted chicks, all was well and happy until this year. Turns out all 3 ducks are Drakes and they are...for the lack of duck girlfriends...trying to mate with my hens. Darwin would be very upset as am I. They have run off never to be seen again one of my silver laced Wyandotts and are so aggressively trying to mate with my hens that I've had to confine them to their pen. It's sad, but necessary to protect the flock. If you've stuck in with me this far...thanks and I'm getting to my point. Does any one want 3 drake runner ducks 1yr old or does anyone have female ducklings I can grow up and in eventually with the guys?

Hey! I hatched 4 Runner Ducks and all 4 are boys! So, I will be posting the extras on Craigslist. If I don't have any luck in a week or so, I will be taking them to Auction. EVERYTHING gets sold at auction!

A thought.....Tabasco Jack has a bunch of Khaki Campbells. He has some girls. They are the best egg layers of all the ducks. You may want to pick up some females from him. The interesting thing is that the babies from the IR/KC mix all walk and look like the Indian Runners!

And, just so you know, the hens would never get pg from the ducks. We had a weird rooster who 'got' all the ducks....females and males! Got rid of him asap!

Thanks for the heads up. I've been putting word out everywhere I go to at least find them a forever home and start fresh. Being such a novice with these ducks I tried to tell myself that 2 were female because they were a different color fawn and much smaller than the third...but no eggs, curled tails and all 3 try to mate my hens.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been putting word out everywhere I go to at least find them a forever home and start fresh. Being such a novice with these ducks I tried to tell myself that 2 were female because they were a different color fawn and much smaller than the third...but no eggs, curled tails and all 3 try to mate my hens.

At 4 weeks old, the females will start 'quacking' and the boys continue to 'peep'

Back
Top Bottom