YO GEORGIANS! :)

Question -- I know lots of folks on this thread have experience hatching out eggs....

So I ordered 6+ BB Red OEG Bantam eggs off of ebay. Seller sent me 11 eggs well packed, only 1 appeared to have a detached air cell.

I put 5 eggs under a very broody bantam girl and put 6 eggs into a Brinsea incubator. Candled for the first time last night on the 7th day, 5 of the 6 incubator eggs have live embryos (the one with the detached air cell had nothing). Plus 3 of the eggs under the hen have live embryos (1 egg broke, 1 seemed to be an early quitter).

So I now have 8 developing eggs, any advice on what the expected hatch rate will be? 8 embryos on the 7th day? I hope to be able to keep all of the babies (I hear bantam roosters can co-exist well if raised together in a flock, well most of the time).

Last edited:
Hahaha! Mine won't even sleep in the shelter coop thing with the roosting things they rather sleep all over the pin (which is an enclosed wooden kids swing set) they fight over they same spots (pushing each other off)

Mine don't like pellets either. I had to put the whole 50 pound bag thru the food processor!

Mine hate pellets too, fortunately I didn't buy a 50 lb bag of them, just bought Rooster Booster supplements to mix in with their feed. Wouldn't touch them so they went into the coffee grinder until they were a fine powder.

Quote: I don't know what you were on but I want some.

Question -- I know lots of folks on this thread have experience hatching out eggs....

So I ordered 6+ BB Red OEG Bantam eggs off of ebay. Seller sent me 11 eggs well packed, only 1 appeared to have a detached air cell.

I put 5 eggs under a very broody bantam girl and put 6 eggs into a Brinsea incubator. Candled for the first time last night on the 7th day, 5 of the 6 incubator eggs have live embryos (the one with the detached air cell had nothing). Plus 3 of the eggs under the hen have live embryos (1 egg broke, 1 seemed to be an early quitter).

So I now have 8 developing eggs, any advice on what the expected hatch rate will be? 8 embryos on the 7th day? I hope to be able to keep all of the babies (I hear bantam roosters can co-exist well if raised together in a flock, well most of the time).
Answer - I have experience living with a person that hatches out a lot of eggs and that's even better than staying at a Holiday Inn.

For detached air cells.... allow the eggs to "rest" 24 hours before incubating. It doesn't hurt the others to sit for a while and settle down from their shipping experience while their sibling's air cell tries to reattach.

As far as hatch rate, there's no way to tell. There could still be quitters. There could be incubator fluctuations. The broody could stop cooperating. There's also the hatching hazards like drowning from too much humidity or shrink wrapping from too little humidity. Or internal pips in the wrong end and not hitting the air cell.

This all accounts for the anxiety that so many experience.

Think positive thoughts.
fl.gif

As far as hatch rate, there's no way to tell. There could still be quitters. There could be incubator fluctuations. The broody could stop cooperating. There's also the hatching hazards like drowning from too much humidity or shrink wrapping from too little humidity. Or internal pips in the wrong end and not hitting the air cell.

Think positive thoughts.
fl.gif

Wow. Thanks for the positivity there! LOL!.

I have to say I am super impressed with the mini Brinsea incubator though...that thing is awesome. It turns them, it keeps the temps stable, even the humidity is perfect, allows for a programmable cool down period every day. Amazon did me right by that purchase.

I want a small clutch (I really want a beautiful healthy little rooster that thrives and becomes a much cherished and beautiful adult) so I am not fixating over quantity, more about quality.

(FYI I think the odds are stacked in our favor, good viability rate amongst the shipped eggs so far, plus 3 females putting psychic energy into creating healthy babies! Two broody bantam hens and me. I truly hope we are rewarded by this).

Last edited:
Oh, and most roosters are fine growing up together. We've never had any of our roosters fight that were raised together. Now put a strange rooster in with them and they're all over him. The other thing is, if you separate for a while, they'll forget each other and will often fight when reintroduced.

Thanks! I also emailed the breeder earlier and he said the same thing (he is in NC and breeds OEG Bantams and regular game birds so I figured he errrmmm....well I figured he knew about rooster aggression and such).

He said the bantam roos should get along fine if raised together, the standard game cocks won't.

My plan is to have these chicks raised naturally....I will isolate the two very broody bantam hens into little cages within the coop a few days before the hatch date....then introduce the incubator eggs 3-4 days before hatch. They want babies badly, and them raising the chicks is much better than me raising them in the house with a screaming Coonhound.

Last edited:
Also roosters that are raised together getting along is a lot like male lion cubs from the same litter getting along.

They share the same genes so brothers happily share a harem of females.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom