YO GEORGIANS! :)

Don't hate me for this, but does anyone here in GA raise meat birds? If so, where can they be processed? Is any licensing necessary for personal consumption?

I'm thinking about raising my own so I can guarantee they have a good free-range life and are humanely killed. I'm trying to step away from supporting factory farming a step at a time.

Don't hate me for this, but does anyone here in GA raise meat birds? If so, where can they be processed? Is any licensing necessary for personal consumption?

I'm thinking about raising my own so I can guarantee they have a good free-range life and are humanely killed. I'm trying to step away from supporting factory farming a step at a time.
I process our birds. It really is not hard.

I process our birds. It really is not hard.

I've watched a few YouTube vids so I would know exactly what I would be getting into if i ended up doing it myself.

Would you mind an audience the next time you process?

I would also have to figure out what to do with the blood, etc. and where I could do it without traumatizing my neighbors. I live in a neighborhood. My garage with the door closed would probably be my best bet there. Would the processing of 6 chickens create a stench inside a garage?

I've read my local ordinances and it is completely legal to raise and "process" your own food for personal consumption from my understanding.

Got any way to hang a tarp? Like tie a rope between two trees and drape the tarp from it? Nothing elaborate but just enough to block their view while you work. Then you can take it down and fold it up for next time. You do not want to do it in your garage....you'll never get all the feathers cleaned up.

Last edited:
Got any way to hang a tarp? Like tie a rope between two trees and drape the tarp from it? Nothing elaborate but just enough to block their view while you work. Then you can take it down and fold it up for next time. You do not want to do it in your garage....you'll never get all the feathers cleaned up.

Yeah, I could do that easily. I could tie rope from the fence to trees and block off where no one could see what I was doing from anywhere. I have neighbors on both sides of me and behind me. It would be easy to use the house, fence, and trees to block off an area.

Back
Top Bottom