YO GEORGIANS! :)

Yea, just sold my 6 chicks. Empty brooder is now ready for chicks coming from hatchery on the 16!

Also had the lady I sold 3 dozen hatching eggs call to say she needed more because they went out of town and had an accident with all the eggs. Not sure what happened, but it keeps me in chicken feed!

I also had a man ask me to hatch him some eggs! I love hatching chicks! Now, all I need is to start collecting eggs!

I need to get ready to be running around town finding hatching eggs soon, too ... school hatching/life cycles classes begin after Winter Break.

I need to set enough aside in 2 weeks to fill my incubator with mostly RIR eggs.
Think we have the Lavender Orp locked out of the RIR pen now, and I added a couple more nestboxes to the RIR and the barnyard mix coops today.

I'd be so worried about setting an incubator at school this time of year. If we get snow and are out for a few days, that could be disastrous, especially if they are hand turning!

I need to set enough aside in 2 weeks to fill my incubator with mostly RIR eggs.
Think we have the Lavender Orp locked out of the RIR pen now, and I added a couple more nestboxes to the RIR and the barnyard mix coops today.

I'd be so worried about setting an incubator at school this time of year. If we get snow and are out for a few days, that could be disastrous, especially if they are hand turning!
I've done it for 3 years running without a problem ... and no hand-turning. All of my school incubators have fans and turners in them. We are always sure to use specific outlets that have extra surge protection and are run when emergency power comes on. Plus, If I know it is coming, I just bring the eggs home until it is safe again.
wink.png

I have a Hova bator 1588. I don't use the wells at the bottom. Too much humidity. Before you put eggs in the bator, run it for a few days and measure the temp and humidity. I also don't rely on the built in thermometer/hygrometer. I usually put two different ones in there. If I need any water, I use little plastic containers with holes cut in the lids.
I picked up a matching set, thermometer and hygrometer at Petco today while we were out and about. Going to get my little bator plugged in and test it within the next week.

as for food coloring in the water, that's ok to do that, it won't effect the chicks to do that.

I have a question for all you hatching gurus, Have you ever started a batch and left home for a few days? I want to start some tuesday or wednesday, but we were planning a weekend trip next weekend and I'm not sure it would be a good idea to leave it unmonitored. I guess I can get one of my daughters to stop in every day and check it. Or I could just put it off a week and add the first few eggs I have dated to the selling carton.

Speaking of which, I was all excited because I got blue eggs two days in a row, now two days without one. Silly girls are just toying with me, in other words, just another typical part f life

another question please for you hatcher peoples...........
wink.png

my owners manual says 55-60% humidity during incubation and bump it up to 65% during hatching. I'm thinking that Flower told me when we were talking the day I picked up my egg cartons, that was too high? So what do y'all usually run yours at? carcar, I KNOW you have good hatch rates, what do you shoot for?

I have my bator plugged in and running, I'll let it get up to temp and see how well it does holding it for the next couple days

Back
Top Bottom