YO GEORGIANS! :)

I have four hatched and one more pipped. They are so pretty!
20170612_184414.jpg
20170612_185310.jpg

Sorry for the duplicate reply! Was trying to reply on the cell phone while we were driving thru the mountains and it said I was disconnected. It must have gone thru anyway!
I thought maybe Randy had found your computer left open and on BYC and decided to take the liberty to post TWICE. :lau

BTW, the friend who is taking Sven also wants the new SFH, so those two cockerels will have a great home! I have to admit, those are a couple of beautiful birds, just stunning! Although Sven can be a headache at times, I'm going to miss him. Mabel and Matilda are definitely going to miss him and vice versa. However, Sven and the other SFH will have a new flock of girls to cozy up to, so they won't be alone for long. It looks like everything is turning out win-win-win, so that's fantastic! I love happy endings. :D

@brucifer I'm going to morrow tomorrow to meet up with the guy to get two chickens. Wish me luck!

So last night I tasted the eggs for the first time. We had 11 eggs so I felt it was time. It was amazing. I actually never had fresh eggs before but only heard about the difference. I'm hooked. The shells were hard and the yolk color was great too.

Next up..quail :D

@brucifer I'm going to morrow tomorrow to meet up with the guy to get two chickens. Wish me luck!

So last night I tasted the eggs for the first time. We had 11 eggs so I felt it was time. It was amazing. I actually never had fresh eggs before but only heard about the difference. I'm hooked. The shells were hard and the yolk color was great too.

Next up..quail :D
AC, that's awesome! I definitely am wishing you luck! :fl

As for fresh eggs, you're absolutely right! Although eggs have a long shelf life, they degrade at a steady pace. For example, to make great Eggs Benedict, you have to have super-fresh eggs, and fresh store-bought eggs usually have degraded too much by the time they're on store shelves. The whites and yolks usually will not stand up high enough to make great Eggs Benedict. It takes fresh eggs to make that dish great.

Also, we never refrigerate the eggs we collect. By law, egg producers and stores have sell eggs that are maintained at 45ºF or below. They do that for safety reasons. However, you don't have to. As long as your eggs are not cracked or punctured, they can remain in a basket in your kitchen; just be sure to rotate them (FIFO). The air cells will enlarge over time, but the eggs will be usable even up to a month or so.

Anyway, sounds like you're hooked on chickens and having fun! :lol:

AC, that's awesome! I definitely am wishing you luck! :fl

As for fresh eggs, you're absolutely right! Although eggs have a long shelf life, they degrade at a steady pace. For example, to make great Eggs Benedict, you have to have super-fresh eggs, and fresh store-bought eggs usually have degraded too much by the time they're on store shelves. The whites and yolks usually will not stand up high enough to make great Eggs Benedict. It takes fresh eggs to make that dish great.

Also, we never refrigerate the eggs we collect. By law, egg producers and stores have sell eggs that are maintained at 45ºF or below. They do that for safety reasons. However, you don't have to. As long as your eggs are not cracked or punctured, they can remain in a basket in your kitchen; just be sure to rotate them (FIFO). The air cells will enlarge over time, but the eggs will be usable even up to a month or so.

Anyway, sounds like you're hooked on chickens and having fun! :lol:

I'm very hooked! I can't forget that taste. I love baking from scratch so I'm excited to start baking with the eggs too. I use to season my eggs heavy but I see that I don't have to do that with fresh eggs.

I'm somehow hooked to the idea of quail too. I just drew up a plan to make a $50 quail pen that will hold 20 quail. The only issue is that I only have a source for day old quail chicks when I rather get them when they are older. *sigh* I'm not ready for the chick life yet!

I probably will!!! What colors?? Also I want to get together with you soon if you still have a CL pullet. I will have some on the 23rd if you want one to drop a crested in your gene pool.

On a funny note, moved the hoop coop & completely confused my birds. This ended up as a big chicken chasing mission. I'm exhausted!!!
If the birds are not in the coop when you move it, then about 10' is the guide.

I've got a batch that are 6 weeks old. They should start laying at any time now. $4 each. After they turn 8 weeks they are $5 each.

You're so far from me but that's a great price. Wish I could but I'll probably be using a near by source to appease my bf. He won't be up for the drive.

In Ga heat, at what age do quail chicks go outside?

Back
Top Bottom