YO GEORGIANS! :)

Do you charge extra for delivery? I have people from all over Georgia ask if I deliver my little $3 chicks.....ummm, not really. They want 4-5 chicks.....doesn't seem worth it.
Do you charge extra for delivery? I have people from all over Georgia ask if I deliver my little $3 chicks.....ummm, not really. They want 4-5 chicks.....doesn't seem worth it.
I will charge extra for gas as long as it's not more then two hours. If I drive more then two hours then I will charge for time.
I've never had to charge time though most people will find them somewhere else. But gas for an hour to two hours away about 50.00. Usually they would rather come to me then spend that much extra.

Last edited:
I've been curious about that as well Jack. I'm interested in turkeys and geese down the road and the only time I've seen someone slaughter a turkey is on Alaska the Last Frontier when Eivin sneaks up behind their Thanksgiving turkey with a samurai sword. LOL Those are pretty big birds to just be grabbin ahold of, but I've no experience with that at all.
I corner him in the pen and slide a sock over his head. While he's wondering what's going on I tie his legs together. Pick him up and place him one of those big round totes and tie the top together. Put the tote in a wagon and roll him down to the processing area.
If you want to come help this fall, you're welcome to come join the fun.

Over my head again in chickens. Can't seem to get rid of them faster than there hatching. Someone offered $1.00 per head for all of them I didn't take it because I felt they were being disrespectful. After years of trying to bring SOP to my flock. Don't think they really cared about any of them.They just wanted to get a bunch of beautiful chickens for nothing. Sometimes I just don't understand. If I felt I had to let all of them go I would just assune bring them here first..:mad:
Not really over my head, some days with chicks it just feels like it. I have actually hatched all I'm going to for awhile though. Once I sell most of them I'll think about hatching again. I have some beauties in this year's hatch.:)

Last edited:
Over my head again in chickens. Can't seem to get rid of them faster than there hatching. Someone offered $1.00 per head for all of them I didn't take it because I felt they were being disrespectful. After years of trying to bring SOP to my flock. Don't think they really cared about any of them.They just wanted to get a bunch of beautiful chickens for nothing. Sometimes I just don't understand. If I felt I had to let all of them go I would just assune bring them here first..:mad:
Not really over my head, some days with chicks it just feels like it. I have actually hatched all I'm going to for awhile though. Once I sell most of them I'll think about hatching again. I have some beauties in this year's hatch.:)
Where are you trying to sell them? I have tons of people wanting chicks....wanting silkies. Where are you located? Hold out....don't sell for less! I once got offered $30 for my Ayam Cemani chicks....I ended up selling a pair plus one extra rooster for $250!!!

So the 3 month old chicks are now in with the big ones and the 2 month olds have been moved to the Juvenile grow out pen! So now no chicks until June 4th when new breeds are coming! I'm getting some Dark Brahmas, a light Brahma, Blue & Partridge Cochins, a Buff Polish, a True Blue Whiting, and some more Easter Eggers. A few of them will be for sale once they grow out a bit....Always have people wanting to buy EEs and the Dark Brahmas so I ordered extras! Also, just ordered some new types of ducks! I'm gonna try the Cayugas and getting one each of Blue, black, chocolate runners and one more Khaki Campbell....all girls! So, will have my brooders full again soon!

The 4 ducks that I hatched out for Easter are all drakes. What are the odds? But on the bright side, I sold one today to someone looking for a young drake.

On another note, I bought an electric net fence to put around the cornish X tractors. If it prevents the possums from killing 15 birds then it has paid for itself.

@sue25 Here's a chick that hatched from Honey's egg (the tiny bantam frizzle I got from you). No clue who the father is since I had way too many males in the pen at the time. The orange silkie I got turned out to be a cockerel too. So no silkies for me right now. Oh well. At least Honey's cute and she made a pretty baby.
20180511_220724.jpg
20180511_220724.jpg

The 4 ducks that I hatched out for Easter are all drakes. What are the odds? But on the bright side, I sold one today to someone looking for a young drake.

On another note, I bought an electric net fence to put around the cornish X tractors. If it prevents the possums from killing 15 birds then it has paid for itself.
If it was me hatching eggs, the chances are high. I always get boys when I want girls and girls when I want boys. Speaking of cornish cross, I just processed two of mine that were about 3 months old. Holy cow was I impressed. I processed a cream legbar and a barnevelder rooster that the same time that were six or seven months and they weren't even close to as meaty as the cornish cross. Now I'm looking for some cornish and some plymouth rock to breed out my own. I read about an easier way to process too, which is just cut the breast and legs off, leaving everything else intact. I throw all the rest to the pigs and they have a field day. I turn the feet into dried dog treats. If I had a plucker, I'd probably leave some whole.

Cornish cross on left, cream legbar on right, both cockerels
chicken breasts.jpg

Where are you trying to sell them? I have tons of people wanting chicks....wanting silkies. Where are you located? Hold out....don't sell for less! I once got offered $30 for my Ayam Cemani chicks....I ended up selling a pair plus one extra rooster for $250!!!
I am So East of Atlanta but not that close to the coast. Atlanta is 2 to 3 hours once I get on Interstate 20. I live minunits away from Ft Gordon. I will drive two hours to deliver or meet someone halfway if they come two hours my way. If I lived in North Georgia like most of the folks on this thread I could sell much better. Amacola Falls is around 4 hours drive. I think that how you spell it.

Back
Top Bottom