YO GEORGIANS! :)

Ohhh okay that makes sense. I’ve only ever bought them from hatcheries and TSC. Still curious how chickens get worms. I’ll have to research that one day.

Yeah it really sucks when people sell chickens just to make money and don’t care about the birds’ health.
That’s funny, people think chickens won’t get sick?

I was going nuts Wednesday afternoon, went out to the coop and seen slimy yucky poop in a few places, daughter and I were catching the chicks and I was doing butt exams. Never did figure out which girl(s) it was from, they are all still doing fine and no issues we can see. Only guess I have is they got a treat of some greens, wife bought them to cook but starts turning brown, so I cut them up and feed it to the girls.

That’s funny, people think chickens won’t get sick?

I was going nuts Wednesday afternoon, went out to the coop and seen slimy yucky poop in a few places, daughter and I were catching the chicks and I was doing butt exams. Never did figure out which girl(s) it was from, they are all still doing fine and no issues we can see. Only guess I have is they got a treat of some greens, wife bought them to cook but starts turning brown, so I cut them up and feed it to the girls.

It’s sad when people don’t take care of their chickens and even worse when they sell sick chickens 😤

Mine thankfully haven’t gotten sick, but I have had my share of temporary issues like mites, or overbreeding from a rough rooster, and predator attacks where they needed TLC to get back to normal.

I have a broody right now. She better hatch like 10 chicks if she’s going to be broody and not laying! Gotta check on her and mark all the eggs but I need to make sure she’s gonna stay broody this time.

Dalton, Ga here...
cool.png
I'm from Dalton. Up in Ringgold now

Also from GA - near Walnut Grove about 30 minutes from Athens! First time having chickens. I have 9, mixed flock, that are now about 8 weeks old.

1 Golden Polish (hen or roo up for debate still), Silver Laced Wyandottes pullets/hen, Gold Laced Wyandotte pullets/hens, Spangled OEGB cockerel, Black Cochin Bantam cockerel, Blue Jersey Giant hen/pullet, and Black (I think might actually be Blue Laced) Jersey Giant pullet/hen.

Hello fellow Georgians,

I’m new to the selling chicks business, so I don’t know if this is the norm, but I keep seeing chicks being sold (more like advertised) for $8 each newly hatched and straight run! Has that always been like that or is that due to the supply&demand of chicks lately?

Granted some are pretty breeds but even some of the more common breeds are going for that much. Idc since I’m not buying any (I have all the breeds I want) but just seeing those prices makes me cringe because I thought $4 per pullet from TSC was pricey back when I was a newbie two years ago. I can’t imagine newbies today paying $8 per chick just to gamble if one or all will be cockerels and what if they die or newbie mistakes etc.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

In one of my fb chicken groups I saw someone selling straight run silkies for $12 a piece! I mean I don’t know if people haggle and bring it down, but still...

Are people taking advantage because all the hatcheries are sold out or something??

Hysop

Hard for me to say. I give my chicks away after I keep what I want. I don't produce enough to move the needle , so giving them away is pretty hassle free. I have given away all my breeds including my Bielefelders.

I paid 20 per Biel pullet , 15 per Orp (straight run) , Brahama 30 per pullet , 5 per hatchery chick last year: SLW , PR , OE

Granted I would pay more to an individual that I thought had good quality over Hatchery chicks just out of principal. Some people don't really care and aren't able or can't justify paying for better quality. If someone just want eggs they will probably go with the cheapest options. Some people are probably taking advantage of the market right now.

I can't keep extra 30 chicks if they don't sell. I kept 5 of the 12 I hatched this year and what a pain keep them separated and introducing them to the other flocks.

Hysop,

I think it is supply and demand. With hatcheries sold out the prices keep rising. In my case I paid $3.95 for RIR day old pullets. I wanted layers but did want more of a heritage look even though I was never going to show them. All have bent combs which isn’t a breed standard. In hind sight, I might have paid more to get a specific look. However, seems like barnyard mix is going for $4 and that seems to be the minimum price. Individuals are asking more than feed stores/hatcheries.

People are looking at ways to be self sufficient and/or have a hobby while stuck at home. I do think there are some people taking advantage of newbies.

Back
Top Bottom