YO GEORGIANS! :)

Oh and PS - it is easier to just build a roomy coop to start than enlarge one. Enlarging a coop, especially while you also have chickens IN the coop you have to relocate during the remodel, is annoying.
Yes, but with the shoulder surgery, we just can't do any building this year. We are getting a coop from a neighbor 3 houses down and will have to disassemble it a bit to get it into our yard, which he feels he can manage with my help.

So I had to make some changes on my choices due to unavailability on the same shipping date. New choices: Blue Australorp, White Leghorn, Barred Plymouth Rock, and Cream Legbar. Sound ok for here in GA?

I'm ordering from Mt. Healthy and now need to ask if you go for the vaccination and/or beak trimming? Also, is the vitamin stress pack recommended?

Those are good choices. I’ve had cream Legbars, Leghorns, and Rocks and they all did well here.

Vitamins, yes. No to the beak trimming! It’s permanent and will make it harder for them to pick up food or forage.

I always get mine vaccinated for Mareks. It’s a painful disease and I would hate my chickens to suffer needlessly. They can still catch and carry the illness but may not get the painful symptoms if they are vaccinated.

Last edited:
I can’t remember if I posted about this here but I had some sick chickens and I decided to get one tested. It was positive for mg, ms, & coryza. ☹️ I decided to cull the whole flock and start over with healthy birds after waiting 8 weeks. (Recommended by the GPL since I free range and can’t disinfect everything.)

Anyway, since shipping is pretty hard on chicks, I've looked at the distances to McMurray, Meyer, Hoover, ideal, and cackle. Are there any big hatcheries that I’m missing? I would really love to have Naked Necks again so that will probably limit my choices.
My pet chicken is another hatchery
They’re in Brooks GA. 7 chick minimum

I have about 35 barnyard mix chicks I've just hatched. How much are Barnyard mix chicks & full grown chickens selling for average?
Around Atlanta I see about $3 for newborn mixed breed chicks (except fancy mixes like if they lay green or if they are sexed females). Barnyard hens seem to go for about $25? Maybe more if they are right at point of lay. But you could always start out posting a bit high and then go lower if they don’t sell.

For comparison, female hatchery chicks like leghorns, australorps, etc are about $5 at the feed stores. So to charge the same or more you’d need a reason yours are better - organic or fancy breed or whatever. There are some small farms who are able to pull $15 per unsexed chick and $50 per pullet by selling fancy breeds. 🤷‍♀️

Anybody on BYC live in Georgia?
I'm gonna make a list of Georgians below! Let's get the LONGEST list possible! Each name counts one point, and mods or staff are worth 5 points!

Georgians' names collected so far:
1. SeramaSweetie
2. Pumpkinpup
3. porteryork
4. rooster-red
5. jonbanks
6. Chix-in-GA
7. mazdacrzy
8. Missouri chick
9. bantyman
10. 1acrefarm
11. EggCentric
12. poohevans
13. mattmatt's-momma
14. newnanchic
15. soonerdog
16. bargain
17. asa
18. key west chick
19. rays123
20. Granolamom
21. Lupa
22. PunkërTeçhñöRøø§ter
23. AnnMarie12
24. GaDawg
25. 2chickenrich
26. embkm
27. Los Pollitos
29. katrek
30. oegblady
31. spotnapp
32. teresac
33. Lmarie
34. speckledhen (MOD= 5 pts!)
35. dawg53
36. featherfooted
37. Hellvagirl

POINTS COLLECTED:
41. Wow!
ya.gif
So Many!
yippiechickie.gif
Any reputable coop builders in Georgia that anyone could recommend? Specifically in Henry County? Also, looking for Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons and Dominique pullets. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom