Yogurt for babies...how much?

BethESH

Songster
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Hi all -

I was given the suggestion that I give my babies yogurt to help with pasty butt - it seemed to work, thank you very much!

The babies - nine days old now - absolutely LOVE the yogurt. How much is it safe to give them?

Thanks!
Beth

When I had 18 chicks, I fed them about 1/2 a cup, a few times a week.
Now that I have 15 grown chickens I give them 1/2 a pint at a time, once or twice a week.

I've been dipping my finger in the yogurt (thick Greek kind) and letting them eat off my finger. Wouldn't try it if I had a manicure though!

I got one of those bases for a quail waterer...I just scoop a couple of soup spoonsful into it. It gets scrubbed every evening.

So funny to watch one baby step in it, fling her foot, and have the others peck at the side of the plastic bin trying to get it ...okay, so it's a game for ME!!!

Have a terrific weekend!
Beth

Quote:
Three or four tablespoons sounds find to me. I used a certain small bowl to feed treats when my chooks were little. They learned to recognize that bowl real quick.

My chicks wanted nothing to do with yogurt when I put it into a dish and all they did was run into it and kick shavings to make a yogurty mess. I observed one slipping into it and kicked a few drops into the side of their brooder and they went insane. So, I took my finger and swiped it on the side and they went nuts eating it. They were pecking a storm! They are 5 days old, so I'm doing tiny amounts; however, I'm hoping when they are older they will want to eat from the dish.
lol.png
But seems like they are having fun this way!

Back
Top Bottom