YOGURT FOR CHICKENS ?

I mix yogurt with the chicks crumble feed. They don't sling it around too much that way. It causes a stampede when i put it in the brooder. I started this at about a week old and give them a little about every other day. Mashed up boiled eggs are my chicks favorites so far. Good Luck and have fun.

i mix rolled oats and blue berry yogurt together and feed to them every other week , and if i see their poop is running i will give some to them and next day poop is solid. i have not had a problem with chickens they lay and eat good.

So what's wrong w/my freaky chicks 'cause they HATE yogurt and boiled eggs?

I gave them yogurt today and I wish I had video of it; everytime one took a bite you could almost see them making those sour lemon faces like little babies make! One of my Jersey's couldn't fling the stuff off fast enough and started using her feet to rub the yogurt off of her beak! It was hilarious.

They won't eat apples or grape bits either but they LOVE their grass...green rye grass...!

You can purchase a probiotic powder that you can top dress their feed or add to their water and accomplish the same good effect that feeding store bought yougurt does for a much cheaper price. I'm not sure how the cost would compare to homemade yougurt, but adding probiotic organism to a chickens digestive system definitely helps to maintain a healthier flock.

I get the low fat ( I think sugar free too) strawberry yogurt (they love the fruit in it!) or blueberry yogurt. They get it quite often!

I will also take the polyvisol and put some in it and mix it up as an easy way to give them medicine. One of my hens just LOVES yogurt.

For the babies that are scared of it, I pour a thin layer of their regular food on top, so they come and start eating that and suddenly they are excited about the new food.

They love it and so do I.
thumbsup.gif

It is the best fun to give them yogurt mixed up with a treat, they get it everywhere.

I do keep it as a treat, but I use a lot of yogurt myself, so there is always some around. I give it them with oats, and they love it, I also mix up spaghetti I have cooked for them and use the yogurt as a sauce for them, and yesterday they had some vegetables including potato peelings, I cooked them up and mixed in the yogurt. They get in such a mess, I spend ages just laughing at them, and they chase around all over the place once they have snatched their prize. They are such fun.

really they do love it. Just a note: I only use plain.

Last edited:
My little flock loves yogurt! We even used it as a treat post handling while we were taming them and it worked like a charm. They would get so excited they forget they were mad at us for picking them up. lol I have a feeling that I won't be feeding it to them by hand for much longer because those little beaks pack quite the punch on my palms and fingers. I do think we may have ruined them though because we tried a bananas and peaches later and they all turned up their beaks once they realized it wasn't yogurt. Silly birds.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom